Re: Looking for a Gulper in West Africa

26.9k views

Page selection:
  • paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Dear Shed,
Please write to Tom   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  for the drawings.

Dear Tom, could you tell us a bit more about the changes that have led to improvement in performance of the gulper? 
Also wondering if use of pedal power instead of hands has been tried to operate it? At my centre, a treadle pump was designed and tested for small farmers who may not be able to afford an electric pump. Use if pedal power makes it much easy to operate and more efficient. It was also found to be useful in areas where electricity supply is either completely absent or not reliable.  Attaching a picture for quick reference. 

Source:  www.ircc.iitb.ac.in/IRCC-Webpage/rnd/PDF...ch/Nov2017/N_375.pdf  
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • sahada40

Hello,

my name is Shed Jah from Sierra Leone, West Africa. 

Kindly send me a drawing and contact in the UK to fabricate the model you talked about. My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

best

shed

• twildman

Hi,

I'm actually Steve Sugden's successor at Water For People and last year we started field testing our new version of the Gulper (the Gulper IV) - we're currently testing in Malawi, Uganda, Rwanda, Honduras, Peru, and Nicaragua. It's a significant improvement over previous versions, in terms of hygiene, suction head and also the ability to pump the waste to the back of a pickup truck. 

If you email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., I'm happy to share both our design drawings and (draft) manual, and also share the contact of the manufacturer in the UK that we used to fabricate our first models in aluminum (BuildWorks UK). 

I'll aim to post something more comprehensive on this forum in the coming weeks.  In the meantime, see the (rather unclear) pic attached
Tom
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Dear Anik.
Please see posts by George Drummond (gdrum01), Bob Stalker (BStalker), and Steven Sugden (stevensugden) in this thread for drawings and links on improved version of gulper.

paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

• adutta4491

Hello; Can i get a link on how to order a gulper or get a drawing for making a gulper?

• gdrum01
  • I am a Sanitation Engineer bringing emerging technologies to the market in Uganda

Re: Looking for a Gulper in West Africa - and the Rammer being the new and better Gulper for pit emptying?

Hi All,

George here - An engineer based in Uganda responsible for overseeing the development of the Gulper II (Rammer)

Its advantages over the Gulper 1:

- The donkey tail makes emptying quicker and cleaner
- The hose outlet makes the operation cleaner as the sludge can be deposited directly into the bottom of a barrel
- The rammer is extendable and can therefore go deeper into the pit - tested up to 2.5m
- The outer cylinder and valve moves up and down rather than an internal plunger (Gulper I). This rising cylinder 'pushes' into the sludge, meaning there is less reliance on overcoming the shear strength (or thickness) of the sludge. This is what allows it to pump thicker shit.

We are currently testing different valve designs and cage spacing sizes on a synthetic sludge that contains solid waste - condoms, tampons, sanitary pads, hair, etc. This will give us a better understanding how the design can prevent the device from becoming blocked.

Technical drawings of the Gulper II can be found here: sanihub.blogspot.com/

We have built up a stock here in Uganda, and we can ship them across Africa if anyone would like a prototype

Thanks,
George
Sanitation Engineer - Sanitation Solutions Group

Previously managing the SaniHub project with Water For People Uganda

Based in Kampala, Uganda
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka, AquaVerde

• BStalker

Re: Apoligies i uploaded the Rammer drawings without the Donkey tail

Rammer and donkey tail making it much easier to operate

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• BStalker

Re: Technical Drawings of the Gulper and Rammer

Hi,

I saw some earlier post inquiring about technical drawings of the Gulper, i have tried to upload them to the post so i hope they will work. I have also added the technical drawings of the Rammer which we have tested in Uganda and has proven to be much better in the field than the Gulper

This message has attachments files.

The following user(s) like this post: AquaVerde

• stevensugden

The hard working folks in Uganda have come up with a new plan for the Gulper 2.0, formally known as the Rammer, which includes a better design of handle. In addition they have also created technical drawings for the Gulper 1.0. Feel free to copy, amend, adopt and innovate.

This message has attachments files.

The following user(s) like this post: rkaupp, JKMakowka, AquaVerde

• stevensugden

Thanks Kiku, you are right. Maybe we should call it Gulper 2.0

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

For those interested in the "Rammer" - a new tool for pit emptying, you might enjoy watching this video about the Rammer (from Water for People - I saw it thanks to the tweet from John Sauer about it):

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka

• snghosh
  • Senior Program Officer at Water For People India

Ramma is a good emerging device for pit emptying. this is a device which meets many government standard of pit emptying like India and could be possible for a small entrepreneur to do b business with this. i think if one has a piece of land for suldge treatment using black soldier flies, could be good business option and very replicable fro the small entrepreneurs.
Senior Program Officer at Water For People -India

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds