WG 2: Take part in SuSanA's Wikipedia Edit-a-thon for World Water Day (19-21 March)!

11.9k views

Page selection:
  • jonpar
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Re: Terms on Wikipedia related to market development.

Hi Carol,

I'm not so convinced that "Public toilet" is sufficiently related to "market development to warrant it to be a Wikipedia term that WG2 members should spend time on. It sounds to me as a term more relevant to Working Group 4 on "Sanitation Systems, Hygiene & Health"

I propose therefore that for WG 2 members, the focus should be on the following:

1) Social marketing- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_marketing

2) Market development- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_development

3) Microcredit for water supply and sanitation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcredit_for_wa...upply_and_sanitation

4) Micro-enterprise- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-enterprise

5) "Self-supply" - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-supply_of_water_and_sanitation

Any other terms that we feel to be specifically relevant to WG2 ?

best regards,

Jonathan
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Carol McCreary
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Jonathan and WG2 members:

I'm working on Wikipedia article on "Public toilet" and am happy to see it on your Market Development list of terms.

It would be great to have your help identifying new technologies and even brands (since several have already been mentioned).

Everyone is invited to stop by the Edit-a-thon virtual workroom to say hello. seint.adobeconnect.com/wpeditathon

Carol
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

• jonpar
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Dear WG2 members,

Your input is requested with respect to the Edit-a-thon for World Water Day 2017,.

Please see information at :

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...de#Event_information

These are the terms related to "Market Development" listed:

* Social marketing 
* Microcredit for water supply and sanitation
* Market development 
* Portable toilet 
* Public toilet 
* Pay toilet
* Micro-enterprise 
* Draft:Self-supply

I am not sure why "Portable toilet" and "Public toilet" are attributed specially with market development. I think we can initiate some new definitions if we consider these to be necessary. Please remember that terms such as "Social marketing", "Market development", "Micro-enterprise" an "Self-supply" are general terms that are not specifically related to sanitation (or WASH).

best regards,

Jonathan
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• vj2016

Re: WG 2: Take part in SuSanA's Wikipedia Edit-a-thon for World Water Day (19th/20th March)!

Hello - Yes, I'm interested!

Sincerely, Vahid Jafroudi
The following user(s) like this post: ruthmiskelly

• Hakeem

Re: WG 2: Take part in SuSanA's Wikipedia Edit-a-thon for World Water Day (19th/20th March)!

Yes, I am interested.

Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)

Hakeem O. Tijani, PhD

• ruthmiskelly
    Topic Author
  • Working to support the SuSanA Working Groups and enhance Global South participation in SuSanA

Great to have you on board Emma and Punita!

If you have any ideas on the Wikipedia pages WG2 should focus on, please add them to the thread here.

We want the selection of pages to be participatory, bottom-up and inclusive :)
Ruth Miskelly
Knowledge and Network Officer - Sanitation
WaterAid
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Working on the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Phase 3 SuSanA project (see here: www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127)

• PunitaNN
  • ...and then I was bestowed the tittle of S#*%ologiest!!

Re: [Wg2] SuSanA World Water Day Wikipedia Edit-a-thon - Get involved WG2!

Yes, I’m interested!
There's always a way

• EmmaMac

Re: RE: [Wg2] SuSanA World Water Day Wikipedia Edit-a-thon - Get involved WG2!

Hi - Yes I'm interested in participating!

Great idea : )

Cheers, Emma Mackenzie

• ruthmiskelly
    Topic Author
  • Working to support the SuSanA Working Groups and enhance Global South participation in SuSanA

WG 2: Take part in SuSanA's Wikipedia Edit-a-thon for World Water Day (19-21 March)!

Hello Working Group 2,

I would like to let you know about SuSanA's Wikipedia World Water Day Editathon (19th/20th March), an event being organised under the Gates Foundation Phase 3 Grant.

Rationale for this event: Wikipedia has great value to those working on the periphery of the sector. For example local government actors working on policy and legislation or media need information on WASH issues. International UN days such as World Water Day are other occasions when the number of people looking to Wikipedia to gain an understanding of WASH related issues will peak

Objectives:
• Edit WASH-related pages on Wikipedia (with 500 million users a month it is the world’s 5th most visited website!). This includes pages that are not specifically about WASH topics but that should provide links to WASH topics, such as the page about malnutrition.
• Improve quality and quantity of information available on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene.
• Enable SuSanA members and WGs to share their knowledge, which can leverage progress towards the achievement of SDG6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.

The Edit-a-thon runs from 19th-20th March, and you can get involved from wherever you are in the world, for whatever amount of time (from 10 mins to 48 hrs :silly: ) you can spare!

As 1 of the partners in this grant, WaterAid will be supporting WG2, amongst other WGs, to get involved in the Edit-a-thon.

I will start by proposing some Wikipedia pages which WG2 members may be interested in editing.

Here are some suggestions:

Social Marketing
Microcredit for water supply and sanitation
Market development
Portable toilet
Public toilet
Pay toilet
Sustainable Development Goals (with a focus on adding content under SDG6)
Micro-enterprise

What does the group think about focusing on these pages? Have you got ideas of more useful/relevant ones? Please enter your views here in this thread.

Soon, I'll be sharing some short videos which explain how you can make basic edits on Wikipedia pages including adding references, adding content or adding an image.

Looking forward to hearing the thoughts/questions and comments from WG2!
Ruth Miskelly
Knowledge and Network Officer - Sanitation
WaterAid
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Working on the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Phase 3 SuSanA project (see here: www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127)
The following user(s) like this post: abhibanerji

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds