Engineers' Training on DEWATS

Page selection:
  • SudhirPillay
  • Working for the WRC on the "Sanitation Research Fund for Africa" Project. Interested in on-site sanitation systems and faecal sludge management

Re: Engineers' Training on DEWATS

Hi

Would regards to your first point, I have not experienced complete phase separation in an ABR treating domestic wastewater. I played with 3 systems (lab to field-scale) and hydrolysis was always rate-limiting step. In the 3000L system, we used settled sewerage pumped to an 8-chamber ABR. For the lab-system, we used faecal sludge slurry in a lab system with a settling tank at the front. In the field system treating around 40 m3/d, we had a square settler/digester upfront to an ABR.

I think they use digester upfront because it is easier to harvest the gas. My experiences with square-type design is that we had leaks - the round shape is easier to make gas tight.

Regarding the cold weather, BORDA has an impressive plant built in Afghanistan. The digesters were built below ground level to keep it warm. It would be best to contact someone from BORDA for more info.

I have attached an old report (2006) from the WRC. Might be useful.

Kind Regards

Kind Regards
Physical Address:
Water Research Commission, 4 Daventry Road, Lynnwood Bridge Office Park, Bloukrans Building, Pretoria.

Postal Address:
Private Bag X03
GEZINA, 0031, South Africa

email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
mobile: +27 (0)60 502 1841

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: AquaVerde

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Dear Susmita,

We had a discussion about Biogas from ABR (DEWATS) started by Anthony. May you come in in this discussions with your know-how?
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/35-bio...5213-biogas-from-abr
and
started by WG8:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/61-wg-...y-sanitation-operati

two of my points:
1. In my opinion the DEWATS of BORDA are two biogas plants one after the other. The ABR by it self is basically a proper but simplified multi-stage biogas plant with permanent hydraulic mixing of substrate with very stable anaerobic phases. Because, in relation to the 4 phases: hydrolysis; fermentation; acetogene; methanogene, been more or less made to "work" separated one after another in each of the 4 ABR-compartments.

This intended separation by compartments creates stability and opportunities to steer via different geometry of cambers, pH's and temperature the whole process. E.g. giving to the first ABR-camber more volume will give more time to the hydrolysis. The following 3 phases will "work" better, See 2012 research from Malaysia: scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=jas.2012.2586.2591

I am not sure why this proper "multi-stage biogas plant" is only used as a wwtp after a less stable "single tank biogas plant". Florian do you know more about? I am guessing the reason is to simplify the whole DEWATS system and to have after biogas production a simple but stable COD reduction "only".

2. By my guessing + under our "cold" conditions, the use of biogas will be "possible" starting by 200 p.e.. The Engineer from BORDA Mr. Sasse said 1998s min. 20 m3/d and COD 1000 mg/l. What is your experiences under "our" cold conditions? The anaerobic treatment steps (Hydrolysis/Acidogenesis/Acetogenesis/Methanogenesis) need different pHs, Temperatures and HRT/SRT, How you "steer" this (keeping all systems simple as possible, by intention), just by different camber geometries and probably different heating temperatures for each camber?

Anthony and Florian had queries too on related subjects.

All the Best
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

• Susmita
  • Topic Author
  • Working at CDD Society, Bangalore as Director, Knowledge Management, Training, R&D

For details about the training - contact
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Susmita
  • Topic Author
  • Working at CDD Society, Bangalore as Director, Knowledge Management, Training, R&D

Engineers' Training on DEWATS

The Consortium for DEWATS™ Dissemination (CDD) Society is pleased to announce the 18th training programme on Decentralised Wastewater Treatment Systems (DEWATS™) from 2nd to 6th December 2013, at Bangalore, India. The five days introductory training programme is specifically designed to impart knowledge and skills required for planning, designing, implementing and managing DEWATS™ through hands-on learning experience.

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds