MDGs to SDGs – What is the Difference and What Do We Do Differently? (lecture by UNICEF)

Page selection:
  • Hutton

Re: RE: question about UNICEF lecture on SDGs on 9 November 2016

I agree that it is very challenging to work on 169 targets simultaneously, but in terms of why we have 169 targets, there are reasons! For example, we could not just stick with WASH targets in goal 6 - we had to move to the broader water agenda, which also has key interlinkages with both drinking-water and sanitation. Certainly the goals are more challenging for Pakistan than for, say, Germany - but the targets do contain the vision of some kind of global equality. Now that's something to aim for!!

Guy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: MDGs to SDGs – What is the Difference and What Do We Do Differently? (lecture by UNICEF)

The presentation is interesting and informative. The 5th slide gives a critical comment of The Economist. It says: The 169 commandments - The proposed sustainable development goals would be worse than useless

Many countries, including Pakistan, did not meet the MDGs, the predecessor of the SDGs. It is puzzling how 17 goals and 169 targets of SDGs would be met. In addition to the large requirement of finances, it is the political will, and the pathways to achieve SDGs, that counts.

Here, with the initial thrust of UNDP and UNIDO, small units comprising of 2 persons, have been set up in the planning departments. Beyond that, it is, so to say, “all quiet of the western front.” What would those 2 non-technical persons would do to achieve 169 targets?

Despite all the efforts of the MDGs, the scenario of safe water and sanitation continues to be poor in the rural areas of Pakistan. With that track record, it would be, perhaps, useful to work on limited sectors - the major sector being water and sanitation, and have a major involvement of the international agencies (UNDP, UNIDO, UNICEF), down to the grassroot levels.

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: MDGs to SDGs – What is the Difference and What Do We Do Differently? (lecture by UNICEF)

Good news! I contacted Guy Hutton from UNICEF and he kindly sent me the powerpoint presentation of the lecture ("From MDGs to SDGs – What is the Difference?". See here:

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I don't think there is a recording available from the lecture but the powerpoint slides are also very detailed and informative.
I am sure you will enjoy clicking through them.

If you have questions or comments about the content, please put them into this thread so that we can all learn together. Thanks. :-)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Dear Elisabeth,

In a similar case previously, I made a request to Kate, but it did not work.
May be, you can contact someone, who can help.

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Mughal,

Good idea to try and get hold of that lecture. I guess it wasn't streamed online?

Have you tried e-mailing the person who sent out the announcement? I guess it was an e-mail by Kathleen Peters that you had received? Perhaps that will work.

If not, I wonder who else at UNICEF would be the best person to approach?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: Fahdk

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

MDGs to SDGs – What is the Difference and What Do We Do Differently? (lecture by UNICEF)

MDGs to SDGs – What is the Difference and What Do We Do Differently?

Dear Ms. Doreen,

Ms.Kathleen Peters (Kathleen “Kat” Peters, Research Administrative Assistant | Hubert Department of Global Health, WASH Certificate Coordinator, Center for Global Safe WASH, Rollins School of Public Health | Emory University, Atlants, GA) has informed of a lecture on 9 Nov 2016, on the above topic. Please see the attachment.

Will it be possible for you to get the transcript of the lecture, and post it on this forum?

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: battseren, Bizuneh

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds