A children's book to bring sanitation awareness to whole communities (Poo to peaches)

Page selection:
  • mwaniki

Re: A children's book to bring sanitation awareness to whole communities.

Hi friends at Watershedmg

We would be obliged to feature this wonderful booklet “Poo to Peaches” in the Africa Water, Sanitation & Hygiene May-June 2015 edition if someone in your group would summarize the draft in at least 100 words to appear in the publications page for our readership. Kindly post the summary to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and including a pdf of the cover. :)

Best regards / Mwaniki
Am the publisher of the Africa Water,Sanitation & Hygiene and the C.E.O. of Transworld Publishers Ltd.,Nairobi-Kenya.
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • watershedmg
    Topic Author

Great feedback. Thanks for the sharing your thought. Yes, extra books will be available for distribution once completed via our website: watershedmg.org

- Catlow
The following user(s) like this post: mwaniki

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

This is interesting publication. I think, a page on hygiene should be added (since it is still in the draft stage). I say this, because, in the publication, the kid touches the parts of WC with bare hands. In practice, the parts of the WC, especially in the developing countries, are not quite clean and uncontaminated. Hence, a word on hygiene (principally, the handwashing) would be in order.

Once the publication is finally ready, I reckon, the hard copies would also be available - am I right?

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
The following user(s) like this post: mwaniki

• KaiMikkel
  • Toilet Activist

Came to this a bit late but so excited that this campaign was successful! This book and all of the folks at WMG are inspirational! :)
Kai Mikkel Førlie

Founding Member of Water-Wise Vermont (formerly Vermonters Against Toxic Sludge)

• watershedmg
    Topic Author

Thank you all for your support! We achieved our goal with still hours to go. We now have a "stretch goal" that if funded will pay for the translation of the book into Spanish.

Gratefully,
Catlow
The following user(s) like this post: mwaniki, KaiMikkel

• elizabethtilley
  • I am interested in how to use technical, social and financial tools to improve sanitation delivery

I just followed this link and noticed that it is a Kickstarter campaign with only 56 hours left!

www.kickstarter.com/projects/987475083/p...mposting-toilet-book

They are still about 900$ short of meeting their target.

I did some early christmas shopping for the kids on my list: not only is it a great way to help get this book to print, but what an extraordinary gift to give some little ones! (I will however be keeping the T-shirt for myself ;-)
Elizabeth Tilley
Senior Lecturer
University of Malawi- The Polytechnic
The following user(s) like this post: watershedmg, KaiMikkel

• Carol McCreary
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Re: A children's book to bring sanitation awareness to whole communities (Poo to peaches)

The folks at Watershed Management Group (WMG) in the state of Arizona have labored for years, successfully engaging local communities hands-on in sound water and sanitation practices and pushing for code change. Now with the drought threatening the entire American west,the time is overripe for waterless toilet systems. A paradigm shift is imperative!

But how do you change the prevailing mentality? Especially when Flush-and-Forget practice is so entrenched? And adults don't want to talk about it?

Well, you design a colorful, fun and highly informative kid's book. Poo to Peaches is that book. Experience is teaching us that children are great awareness creators when it comes to creating awareness about sane and practical approaches to managing pee and poo.

Take a look at an early draft attached. Perfect for young ones of a fairly broad age range. What's more it has a section for adults on how to build a composting toilet which is appropriate for the hot, dry climate of Arizona.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Stephen Thomas of Watershed Management Group has contributed a blog post on the book project with info on when the book will be finalized and in print. www.phlush.org/2015/03/02/poo-to-peaches...osting-toilet-users/

Now I am curious to know about similar approaches elsewhere in the world. Can anyone share publications that encourage children to create demand in their families for sound, sustainable household toilet systems? I know there WASH in schools has great materials for hygiene, hand-washing and MHM; but what about bottoms up pressure from kids to their elders? Anything on the theme of "No loo, No I do."?
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: F H Mughal, mwaniki, watershedmg, KaiMikkel

• watershedmg
    Topic Author

Poo to Peaches - A children's book to popularize composting toilets

We thought you might be interested in learning more about our organization's (Watershed Management Group based in Tucson, AZ) Kickstarter campaign to finish and publish a children's book about composting toilets and have any thoughts on who to share the book with.

For more information: www.kickstarter.com/projects/987475083/p...mposting-toilet-book

We created Poo to Peaches as an educational resource for both kids and parents. Each page in the children’s story will have a complementary page for adults with information on using and maintaining composting toilets.

Thanks!
The following user(s) like this post: mwaniki, KaiMikkel

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds