I had problems with editing my personal text in my forum profile

• christoph
  • christoph's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

I had problems with editing my personal text in my forum profile

As I realized that new people do not have the possibility to know the people who are writing since a longer time, I thought it might be interesting to add a possibility in the profile section which gives room for a self-presentation. We ask always people to present themselves, but how do they get to know us...just by the posts...maybe but sometimes a background helps to better understand the persons position.
Just an idea
Yours
Christoph
The following user(s) like this post: tmsinnovation, Doreen
You need to login to reply
  • tmsinnovation
  • I work in the GIZ Zambia Water programme as a Sanitation Advisor. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.

Re: profile enlargment

Hi Christoph

Currently you are able to link your profile to a LinkedIn profile, where someone would be able to read your publicly available information. But I suppose that is not an ideal solution.

Here are a few brainstorming / clarifying questions from my side:
1. On the current forum user profile page, if a text box was available where one could type up ones own profile description, would that be useful with respect to your idea / request?
2. When you say present yourself, would you want to attach a pdf or presentation to your profile in which you presented your work, interests and past activites?

Look forward to your feedback.
Rgds
Trevor

Trevor Surridge
Sanitation Advisor
GIZ Water and Sanitation Program
German Development Cooperation

GIZ Water Programme office
Chaholi Rd. No 5, Rhodes Park
Private Bag RW 37x
Lusaka, Zambia
  • muench
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

I agree with you Christoph.

I suggest before we start programming new things we should use the existing two simple options of displaying basic information about oneself and that is in the footer (see below) and in the short text about yourself (see on the left). In the footer you can give a link to your website, LinkedIn page or whatever.

This can be edited if you click on "Profile", which is one of the tabs at the top. Then click on that nearly invisible edit button on the right (white text on green box). Here you can edit what appears in your footer and what appears on the left of each of your posts.
How about leading by example and adding some basic information about yourself? That would be great. :whistle:

If everyone took the rule seriously to introduce oneself in their first post, then one could always go back to the person's first post and check there. You can use the Search tab at the top to search for all the posts of a person.

If you have missed the intro in the first post, you could also add it at any time to a new post you are making.

Personally I really agree with you that it is so important to know who one is reading from or talking to. Learning is a social activity and we learn best from people and with people that we trust.

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Community manager of this forum via SEI
(see: www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )
Wikipedian, co-founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench, website:...
The following user(s) like this post: tmsinnovation, Doreen, Marijn Zandee
  • christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

I tried to alter the about me part. I did not find how. I put in personal text but it did not appear.
I geve up
Yours Christoph
  • tmsinnovation
  • I work in the GIZ Zambia Water programme as a Sanitation Advisor. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.

Hi Christoph

I am sorry to hear that it did not work for you. The Personal Text field only accepts 300 characters at the moment. I have begun a conversation with our IT company about making changes to the size of the text box of this personal text field on the profile information page.

I am sure you went to the correct place in your profile, but just in case you missed a step, I have included a few screen shots below of the respective steps that a user needs to take to change their profile and personal info.

1. Go to your profile page, easiest way is by clicking on the "Profile" tab at the top of the page, which is located between the "My topics" and "Rules" tab at the top of the page.

2. Click on the "Edit" button see the screenshot below:

3. Click on "Profile Information" see screenshot below:

4. Entry up to 360 characters into the "Personal text" text box, see screenshot below:

5. When you are done, press the "Save" button at the bottom of the screen:

Please let me know if this works for you!
Rgds
Trevor

Trevor Surridge
Sanitation Advisor

Private Bag RW 37x
Lusaka, Zambia
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: muench
  • christoph

:( It´s exaclty what I did. and my frase was
I´m a sanitary engineer with a sanitation company in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA.
110 caracters... so ther should not be any problem
CP
  • tmsinnovation

Hi Christoph

I have done a few checks in the back-end and I do not find anything that should be causing this problem. So I am not sure why it is not working for you. Did you receive an error message by any chance that could further assist my investigations?

Rgds
Trevor

Trevor Surridge
Sanitation Advisor

Private Bag RW 37x
Lusaka, Zambia
  • muench
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

Just in case others had the same problem as Christoph (above): For your short sentence about yourself which appears in italics on the left of your posts, under your photo, you cannot use special characters.

So, not: I'm a sanitary engineer..., but: I am a sanitary engineer...

I encourage all of you to edit your profile in the way described above, so that we know at least one short sentence about you. It makes it more fun to learn and discuss things together when it is not an anonymous place. Thanks.

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. Remember the length of the personal text is restricted to 360 characters.

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Wikipedian, co-founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • ekellogg
  • Regular forum user
  • I and my firm are interested in growing sustainable businesses that supply toilets to Africans of all income levels, especially those of low income.

Re: profile info editing

Hi Elisabeth!
I hear so many great things about you every day from Diane. I hope I can meet you in person some day and express my appreciation for all you do.

I don't really want to bother you with the following minor problem, bult don't know where else to turn.

I am embarrassed to report that I tried to edit my time zone in my personal profile and could not figure out how. It shows as GMT +0100 and it should be GMT -0500. I was able to open a screen where I could edit a lot of things but not time zone.

Best regards,
EdKellogg

Edwin Kellogg, PhD
Partner, Kellogg Consultants, LLC
Boston, Massachusetts
  • muench

Dear Ed,

Thanks for the compliments which I return directly to Diane (loved working with her on the Wikipedia Edit-a-thon Meetup page here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...A_Platform_Worldwide )

There are not many questions by users which I don't know the answer to, but this is one! You mean the time zone displayed under a person's photo in their user profile?

I also didn't find a way to influence that. I will ask Steffen about that. It might even be better to simply remove that field altogether.

We have by the way a new version of the Forum coming out quite soon (currently still in beta version), which uses the latest version of Kunena. Perhaps this issue is fixed there already.
This version also works on mobile phones which is awesome. Not yet ready but we'll have it by the end of April.

Keep on asking these tricky questions! :-)

Cheers,
Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant

• muench

Hi Ed,

Steffen and I couldn't figure out a way to solve that time zone issue, so we simply removed it from the profile information (i.e. to the left of this post). Rather not have it displayed than providing a wrong time.
Let us know if you find anything else that irks you or that is wrong.

Thanks,
Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant

Share this thread:
Time to create page: 0.727 seconds