Best decentralized treatment solution for a city without a centralized sewage system? (Question about Kabul, Afghanistan)

35.8k views

Page selection:
  • qasem120

Re: Reply: Best decentralized treatment solution for a city without a centralized sewage system?

Dear Cecil

The decentralized treatment system which is introduced by BORDA in Afghanistan does not work properly in cold season. If you know a better decentralized system for cold region please let me know.

Best regards

Qasem Brati
The following user(s) like this post: cecile

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • cecile
    Topic Author
  • Water and Sanitation Sector Leader for SNV in Burkina Faso

Best decentralized treatment solution for a city without a centralized sewage system? (Question about Kabul, Afghanistan)

Note by moderator (EvM): Cecilia is answering here the post of Marina who has temporarily been banned from the forum until we sort out some issues (awaiting her reply). This was the question that Cecile is addressing:

Most of the ​cities in ​Afghanistan are ​built without a ​proper sewage ​system, for ​example: Kabul ​is a ​metropolitan ​city with only ​3% of the ​houses ​connected to ​sewage and ​treatment plant.​

97% of the ​city does not ​have sewage ​systems and ​treatment plant ​for wastewater ​and they only ​collect the ​toilet ​wastewater.

What do you think is the best treatment solution for a city without a centralized sewage system?

+++++++++

Dear Marina,

I would heavily rely on the Compendium of Sanitation Systems and Technologies to support research and action on which technologies are the most appropriate to the context and which tackles the whole sanitation chain. It is complemented by the CLUES manual for planning.

I would also look at Sustainable Sanitation in Cities, a framework for action (edited by SuSanA), which includes case studies based on Compendium's approach as well as planning.

Another very useful document is the Key Elements for a New Urban Agenda by Borda which reflects on the experiences of several stakeholders including gender sensitive sanitation which might be an interesting approach in the case of Afghanistan.

I hope this helps.
Cecile
Cécile Laborderie
MAKATI Environnement

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds