The Sludge Digger, coming to Nairobi (a bucket-based device to empty pit latrines, septic tanks, and similar pits)

Page selection:
  • dandreatta
    Topic Author
  • I am a mechanical engineer and work for a consulting company. I do projects around water, cookstoves, and sanitation in my spare time.

The Sludge Digger, coming to Nairobi

In the past I've promoted the Sludge Digger, a bucket-based device to empty pit latrines, septic tanks, and similar pits. It picks up the trash as well as sludge, works in thick or thin sludge, and can handle deep pits. A video of an early version is at:

or do a search for Dale Andreatta.

The device has been improved to include a telescoping handle that allows it to be used under a roof, and the option of a smaller bucket that fits through a 20 cm by 13 cm squatting hole. Some photos of the improved device are below. A better video will be posted when I return from Africa.

I'm coming to Africa in September for some field testing of this device. I'll be in Malawi from the 5th to the 17th, then Nairobi from the 18th to the 22nd. If anyone in the Nairobi area wants to connect and see the device, and/or test it, let me know.

Dale Andreatta
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Dale Andreatta, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineer
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: AlexandraDubois

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds