Introduction: Ainul F. Nisaa (GIZ, Germany) - and septic tanks in urban Indonesia

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Introduction: Ainul F. Nisaa (GIZ, Germany)

Dear Ms. Ainul,

Thank you for your informative post. It is a pleasant surprise for me to note that the sewerage system in Jakarta covers only two percent of its population. As Dr. Arno notes, Indonesia is a special case.

Dr. Arno: What about those settlements around the Jakarta? Do they have the same sewerage system, described by Ms. Ainul?

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • arno
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

Hi Ainul

Welcome to SuSanA.

Indeed Indonesia is a special case. With all the onsite urban sanitation, one would hope that improvements could be made without taking the route of centralized sewer systems. I met the mayor of Makassar a few years back and his vision for his city of 2 million was a centralized sewage system. Just imagine all the roads of the cities of Indonesia would need to be torn up to install sewer pipes if this option is taken.

Your experience with ABRs is therefore of great value. Innovative DEWATS designs to increase retention times and biological degradation would be invaluable using small decentralized approaches.

Regards
Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org

• ainulfirdatun
    Topic Author
  • Junior Lecturer and Researcher at Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) | Former SuSanA Intern

The majority of households and business in urban Indonesia use septic tanks and the use of manual water-flush toilets is common for households. An interesting publication on Indonesia's urban sanitation review by World Bank and AustralianAID shows that only 4% of septage from urban households is safely disposed/treated. The sewerage system in Jakarta covers only two percent of its populations, the percentage is way smaller compared to Kuala Lumpur (80%) or Delhi (60%). It is definitely an important issue that need to be addressed yet could be a great opportunity for those who want to start a business in this part of sanitation chain.

The report can be downloaded here: openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/ha...quence=1&isAllowed=y

Regards,
Ainul
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: F H Mughal

• F H Mughal

Dear Ms. Nisaa,

It is somewhat surprising to note that 62% of the urban population in Indonesia has their own septic tank in each house. Is there any reason for this? In Karachi city, nearly all are connected to the sewerage system. In peri-urban areas, and localities around Karachi, there is no sewerage system. So, in those areas people either have septic tank-soakpit system, or just pit system.

Can you kindly describe the sewerage system you have in Jakarta?

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• ainulfirdatun
    Topic Author
  • Junior Lecturer and Researcher at Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) | Former SuSanA Intern

Thank you Daniel and Mr. Mughal for the greetings,

The study I carried out was in the second biggest city in Indonesia (Surabaya). Through a community-based sanitation program, a low-income community could have an anaerobic baffled reactor. The key of the program is the active participation of the community (physically and financially) during the construction of the reactor and the sewerage network with the help of the local government as well as during the operation and maintenance. Once the community has the sense of belonging to its sanitation facility, the OM would be then easier to run. However, some inhabitants preferred to have their own septic tank instead of having communal wastewater treatment plant (avoiding social conflict). This is due to the fact that 62% of the urban population in Indonesia has their own septic tank in each house.

Regards,
Ainul
The following user(s) like this post: F H Mughal

• F H Mughal

Dear Ms. Nisaa,

I also welcome you to the forum!

Your research interest is community-based sanitation in developing countries. This is a very important topic. Kindly share your research and findings from time to time.

In the context of developing countries, is community-based sanitation same as rural sanitation?

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• ddiba
  • Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute and Co-lead of SuSanA WG5

Welcome to the Forum Ainul!
Daniel Ddiba
Co-lead for SuSanA WG5: Productive sanitation and food security
Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute
www.sei.org/revamp
LinkedIn: Daniel Ddiba
Twitter: @DanielDdiba

• ainulfirdatun
    Topic Author

Introduction: Ainul F. Nisaa (GIZ, Germany)

Hi everyone,

with this first post, I would like to introduce my self here at SuSanA Forum.

Since the beginning of last week I started working at GIZ here in Eschborn as an intern to support Sustainable Sanitation department as well as SuSanA Secretariat. Currently I am enrolled as master's student of Water Resources Engineering and Management program at the University of Stuttgart. My main research interest is community-based sanitation in developing countries. I did my bachelor's thesis with Planning and Community Based Sanitation Provision (Case Study: Surabaya, Indonesia) using Anaerobic Baffeld Reactor as a solution. However, I am always curious to know the newest sanitation technology.

I am looking forward to involving more in this SuSanA Forum.

Ainul
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, F H Mughal, Doreen, MissNkhosi

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds