Review process for “Compendium of Sanitation Technologies in Emergencies” - now completed

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Review process for “Compendium of Sanitation Technologies in Emergencies” just started I Become involved!

For those who have been following this thread, I am happy to tell you that the Compendium of Sanitation Technologies in Emergencies has now been released, see here:
forum.susana.org/67-challenging-environm...ogies-in-emergencies

I'll close this thread now. Further discussions about the document could take place in the new thread.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
You need to login to reply
The topic has been locked.
  • rob#
    Topic Author
  • Head of capacity building unit at German Toilet Organization.

Re: Review process for “Compendium of Sanitation Technologies in Emergencies” just started I Become involved!

Hi Chris, Elisabeth,

thanks for your comments and sorry for getting back to you so late.

During the last weeks we were busy finalising a first draft of all technology sheets (already more than 60 by now), all corresponding cross-cutting issues chapter and had some in-depth discussions on the overall structure of the document. Hence we hadn't sufficient time yet to process and digest all feedback and comments that came in recently.

We nonetheless very much appreciate your willingness to contribute and this does not go unnoticed even if we do not respond immediately.

As to your comment on the reviewing process: We decided not to go for an entirely open process in the forum here, but rather link interested people directly to our google drive platform. ...and a lot of the forum users already made use of this option, which is great. So all interested SuSanA forum users are still warmly invited to get back to me individually in order to get access to the Compendium platform.

...and @Chris: We received your comments on the urinals and those will definitely be processed in the weeks to come. ...and thanks also for the provided links to your blog and the pictures. We are not planning to include any pictures in the hardcopy version (in order not to be biased towards a certain organisation, regional context or alike) but we are planning to develop an interactive online version of the compendium early net year (including a forum function, a flickr gallery, a case studies section, a library etc) and would be more than happy to include them at a later stage here.

Thanks a lot and best regards

rob
Robert Gensch

Senior Project Coordinator - Capacity Development
German Toilet Organization
Phone: +49-(0)30-41934345
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.germantoilet.org
www.washnet.de
  • rob#
    Topic Author

Hi Marijn,

PeePoo bags (or the use of bags in general, without referring to any brand name) will be considered but most likely be included as part of the "container-based toilet" tech-sheet and not as an individual technology sheet.

Hope this helps and best regards

rob
Robert Gensch

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.germantoilet.org
www.washnet.de
  • canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Hi,

Attached are my comments on the chapter on urinals

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Best wishes,
Chris
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

This message has an attachment file.

The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary
  • canaday

Dear Elisabeth,

Yes, I agree that the process is overly complicated and it may be best to simply post the draft here on the Forum and receive the comments that come.

I am also surprized that no one has responded to my comments here or there in over ten days.

I reviewed the document on urinals since it was one of the first. I look forward to seeing the sections on UDDTs, ArborLoos, etc., but those are in another document and I have not gotten there yet.

I will post my comments here when I get a new screen for the computer I wrote them on (or dig it back out of the Google Drive), but Rob would be the one to post the Google Drive here.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Chris,
You said:

I just uploaded my review of the document on urinals to the Google Drive.

Could you please provide the link or do they not want this Google document to be shared widely? I'd be curious to see everyone's comments.
Hoping that Rob will soon some back to this thread, too, to answer the questions posed here.

I wonder if urinals are perhaps not seen as priority in emergencies as urine does not spread diseases in the same way as feces do.
So open urination is far less of a health thread than open defecation.
(still good to have urinals though in the case of dry toilets or UDDTs in particular to keep them dry, I agree with you)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
  • swoolley
  • Technology Consultant at Isle Utilities GmbH

Hi Rob,

I'd be interesting in assisting to review, and would like to know more about the time requirements to assist with the reviewing process.

I'll send you a mail.

Stuart
Stuart Woolley
  • Marijn Zandee
  • No longer working in WASH, but still following the forum.

Dear Rob,

I won't have the time and expertise to contribute. However, I do have one question. Will the Peepoo bag be considered for the compendium, and why or why not?

Thanks

Marijn
Marijn Zandee

E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • canaday

Hi Robert,

I just uploaded my review of the document on urinals to the Google Drive.

I would like to share this very simple design of waterless urinal that can be made with 4-litre bottles that are likely already present at emergency relief camps. It can be used inside tents or wherever there is adequate privacy and then emptied on the soil as fertilizer for plants. It is very simple for women to use in the squatting position or for men to use standing. It is imminently practical and has no odour problem all night, but should be emptied and rinsed with water a the first opportunity.
inodoroseco.blogspot.com/2013/05/urinarios-ecologicos.html

This one is based on a 20-litre jug, and has a soil air filter to control smell:
inodoroseco.blogspot.com/2015/12/un-nuev...inario-sin-agua.html

This is a concept for female urinals that are also flowering gardens. We have not built one exactly like this yet, but will certainly work very well. In an emergency setting, the privacy walls could be simply sheets of plastic or cloth. Note that a roof is not necessary, as one only needs to be at the urinal briefly and jackets and umbrellas can be used. Without a roof, there is much more air, light (during the day), rinsing when it rains, and sterilization of germs when it is sunny.
inodoroseco.blogspot.com/2017/05/wurinat...publico-florido.html

Here are more ideas for sanitation in emergencies:
inodoroseco.blogspot.com/2016/05/saneami...gico-durante-la.html

One of my articles here is on EcoSan in emergencies:
www.ecosan.at/ssp/issue-06-toilets

Feel free to include these links in the Compendium.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Thanks for posting about it. Why not upload the draft to wiki or something like that for a more open review process?
  • rob#
    Topic Author

Review process for “Compendium of Sanitation Technologies in Emergencies” just started I Become involved!

Dear SuSanA members,

The German WASH Network together with Eawag, the Global WASH Cluster, SuSanA and other key humanitarian organisations are currently developing a “Compendium of Sanitation Technologies in Emergencies”.

The Compendium aims to provide a comprehensive, structured and user-friendly hardware and planning guide for the different challenging situations that emergencies present. It compiles information on tried and tested technologies in a single document and gives a systematic overview of existing and emerging sanitation technologies along the whole sanitation service chain.

The compendium is intended to become a multi-agency publication with state-of-the-art information based on the experience and expertise of key humanitarian WASH sector experts. Hence, the publication development is an open process and we therefore encourage SuSanA partners and humanitarian WASH actors with respective experience in implementing sanitation hardware solutions in emergencies to become actively involved in the reviewing process.

If you are interested to be part of the reviewing group please kindly get back to us (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) and we will provide you with further information on the current draft version and the further reviewing process.
This attachment is hidden for guests.

Best regards and looking forward to your active participation

rob
Robert Gensch

www.germantoilet.org
www.washnet.de

This message has an attachment file.

The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds