Help make this handout on urine separating emergency toilet better.

Page selection:
  • Carol McCreary
    Topic Author
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Re: Help make this handout on urine separating emergency toilet better.

Jeff, After sleeping on it, I see we cannot waste the opportunity to say that urine is not waste.
After all "PHLUSH believes that toilet availability is a human right and that well-designed sanitation facilities restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils." So please have a look at the rewrite in the instructions for the DIY Christchurch Twin. www.oldtownchinatown.org/phlush/emergenc...y-christchurch-twin/
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Carol McCreary
    Topic Author

Thanks, Jeff for your helpful answers. Indeed we need to link everything we do to non-wasteful, nutrient cycling, sustainable sanitation. That's what we do. So on our website - with help from experts like you - we'll move on to the same step.

The reason I've left "dispose down storm drain" is because we want to get the city, the county and the Red Cross to adopt officially it as an emergency toilet aimed at vertical neighborhoods. Once that happens we can work on composting, urine reuse, and sustainable nutrient cycling. This can be done in the context of disaster recovery as well as to serve all the people in our city who are already dis-connecting from water and sewer and building composting toilets. We should have the rest of the story up at www.phlush.org in a couple of weeks.

BTW another group here is working on public emergency toilets and educating people on correct composting. They are not separating whereas we are and educating them in something many have never heard of.

As for the missing link, here's the text for the two pages to be printed front to back. www.oldtownchinatown.org/phlush/emergenc...o-emergency-toilets/
www.oldtownchinatown.org/phlush/emergenc...y-christchurch-twin/

We'd be grateful if you took a look at this one too.
Carol McCreary

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

• JeffHoliman

Carol,
Thank you for your efforts to introduce emergency sanitation solutions. I like the idea of promoting urine separation and this is a great way to start. I did not see the two links, only one, from your post here regarding the "other side" of proposed handout describing what to do with contents of buckets as they fill.
Here is the link that describes what to do with the bucket contents from PHLUSH website:
www.oldtownchinatown.org/phlush/emergenc...y-christchurch-twin/

In my opinion the urine should be introduced to soil either by burying or by dilution with water 1:4 rather than pouring down storm drain. As for poo bucket, I think it would be helpful to offer a recommendation for how to handle poo bucket contents when it requires emptying. It is my understanding that by either burying the contents in the soil below (6" to 8") or about 17 to 22 cm of top soil or introducing it to a hot compost pile would be appropriate. I realize that apartment/condo dwellers will lack access to soil, but perhaps arrangements could be made with neighbors in advance that have direct access to soil?

Thank you for your work on this emergency sanitation project!
Jeff
Jeff Holiman
PHLUSH.org
Portland, OR, USA

• Carol McCreary
    Topic Author

This follows on request posted yesterday. For an event on Oct 22 we need a handout that introduces the idea of urine separation to the general public, including families with children. One page photocopied both sides. Here is the other side. www.oldtownchinatown.org/phlush/emergenc...o-emergency-toilets/

Is it technically accurate? How can we make it clearer?

Thanks. Here are photos of the original from the Christchurch Compost Toilets group and our copy meant to be stored with household emergency supplies.

Carol McCreary

Attachments:

• Carol McCreary
    Topic Author

Help us write a one page handout for Christchurch Twi No-Mix Emergency Toilet

Hi, I'm writing from Portland, Oregon a city that geologists say is at risk of a really big earthquake. So PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) is working on emergency toilets. We didn't find anyone in the US with ideas for a toilet that met the needs of vertical city neighborhoods. In fact, many recommendations are dangerous - like bagging urine+feces and putting out for pick up! But then we found the Compost Loo Team of the New Zealand Permaculture Emergency Response Network www.composttoilets.co.nz They use two buckets for their UDDT. We think this is an elegant solution and so we asked to collaborate and are naming our simple twin toilet in their honor. On Oct 22 we have our first event. We need a handout that explains how to make the Christchurch Twin and explains urine separation to people who have never heard of it, including children.

Please help. Read our latest version here: www.phlush.org/emergencysan/diy-christchurch-twin/ Is this clear? Does it make sense? How would you improve it. (by the way 1 gal. = about 4 litres)
Carol McCreary

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds