Comparative Study of Sanitation Authorities in Africa

Page selection:
  • ddiba
  • Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute and Co-lead of SuSanA WG5

Re: Comparative Study of Sanitation Authorities in Africa

Dear Bossman,
Could you please provide some more context on what your study is about, to enable potential contributors understant better what information exactly you are looking for?
Are you looking at authorities in terms of ministries or central government agencies or you are thinking of utilities and municipal/city-level entities? And when you say "comparative", what exactly are you comparing; is it size, financial data, legal set-up, mandate or goegraphical coverage? Also, are you looking at the entire Africa (the whole continent is quite heterogeneous) or a specific region?

I think that if you provide more context about your study, you may be able to get more helpful contributions from the community...

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Ddiba
Co-lead for SuSanA WG5: Productive sanitation and food security
Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute
www.sei.org/revamp
LinkedIn: Daniel Ddiba
Twitter: @DanielDdiba

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • bossman
  • Topic Author

Thank you, Mughal for your comment.

My preliminary findings reveal that in Africa, the two sub-sectors are often coupled, i.e. sanitation and water resources.
That said, I am open to any document or reference that gives insight into the framework/ideas for setting up such an authority/entity; whether lone or coupled.

Thank you,

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Just a small query:

In Pakistan, both water and sanitation go to one authority. For example, in Karachi, we have Karachi Water & Sewerage Board. As you can see, both functions (water and sanitation) rest with one authority.

In the rest of the Sindh province of Pakistan, we have Public Health Engineering Department (PHED). PHED has, in fact, 3 sectors: water, sanitation and drainage.

Do you have solely sanitation authorities in Africa, or, water sector is also with that authority?

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• bossman
  • Topic Author

Comparative Study of Sanitation Authorities in Africa

Hello Team. I am doing a comparative study of Sanitation Authorities in Africa. Could you help by sharing documents setting up Sanitation Authorities in African countries or related documents on the subject?

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds