LaDePa is a faecal sludge pelletising machine in eThekwini (Durban)

• John Brogan
  • Regular forum user
  • John Brogan; WASH and DRR Advisor for Terre des hommes (Tdh)

Re: LaDePa is a faecal sludge pelletising machine in eThekwini (Durban)

This has been an interesting and inspiring project/post to follow!
About the step where the solid garbage/detritus is separated from the fecal sludge (before the sludge is processed into pellets): What happens to the detritus separated out in the screw conveyor? Does it receive special treatment or go to a special landfill? I was concerned about those who work in informal sector waste recycling.

Thank you
John Brogan
Terre des hommes

John Brogan
Terre des hommes
You need to login to reply
  • muench
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

Dear Hajo,

Good questions! I would also like to know about an update.
Just letting you know that I've e-mailed some people in the background in May. So far no luck. I was told by Santiago Septien that the main responsible for the LaDePa plant is Dave Wilson. I've just sent him another e-mail now. So I hope we'll soon hear something either from Dave or from someone else from Durban.

John: as far as I know the garbage that was separated out just goes to landfill. What kind of special treatment would you have in mind or why? Are you thinking of incineration?

Regards,
Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Community manager of this forum via SEI
(see: www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )
Wikipedian, co-founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench
The following user(s) like this post: mirara
  • muench
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

Just a little update on the LaDePa machine in Durban:

I have been told that "there has been a delay in procurement for various reasons but that we should be on track in September".

Regards,
Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Wikipedian, co-founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • John Brogan
  • Regular forum user
  • John Brogan; WASH and DRR Advisor for Terre des hommes (Tdh)

Hi Elisabeth,
Considering that the garbage was mixed in with fecal sludge, the was concern was for anyone coming into contact with the detritus once separated. (Some countries do not secure dump/landfill sites and informal workers scavenging would come into contact with potentially dangerous pathogens.)
In July I had the chance to meet Teddy Gounden (e Thekwini Municipality) at the AGUASAN workshop on Circular Economy in Switzerland. He said that waste sites are secured--reducing the chance of detritus coming into contact with people. We agreed that this should be a requirement for any city considering LaDePa technology.
Best regards
John

John Brogan
Terre des hommes
The following user(s) like this post: muench
  • muench
    Topic Author

Thanks for this clarification on the solid waste issue, John.

Meanwhile, I received another update about the situation with the LaDePa plant in Durban. This one came from Rein Buisman, the owner of the company who manufactures Ladepa plants (PSS Technologies):

+++++++++

We received the order in November 2015 for the lease of 3 Ladepa plants .

We have been battling to get finance , because we are a small company.
And No commercial Bank wants to finance any project for a Municipality in South Africa .

And we now after 17 months due diligence finally have the loan approval , but with lots of conditions .
So I am still not sure when we get the funds ( Eur 800,000) to build the 3 plants

Our agent in Finland is more successful in that they get Government assistance
The first Ladepa is to go into the WWTW in the town of Puumela

The test work they have done on the 600 mm wide small production unit is extremely promising in that they managed to cut the power consumption in half.

Tomorrow I am in Durban , as DEM wants the Tongaat machine modified and re –commissioned

Rein Buisman
Director
PSS Technologies (Pty) Ltd
www.parsep.co.za/index.html

+++++++++++++

Thanks for this update Rein!
We hold our breath to see how this drama unfolds! Upscaling is so much harder than it seems at first, even with a technology that seems to make so much sense such as this one.

Regards,
Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant

The following user(s) like this post: John Brogan
  • hajo
  • Long-term forum user
  • GIZ Development Worker, now in Lusaka | Zambia

hello eThekwini, hi Dave,

as indicated in my post of May I would like to know how the LaDePa is going during its normal operations with advantages and disadvantages.

It also looks to me that the machine is only operated sporadically because the pits are emptied in one go every few years? Like they fill up over 5 years and then there is a contract to empty them over the course of two years, is that correct? In between the machine is not being used?

If so, would it not be more economical to have a smaller machine, operate it (almost) continuously while also the emptying process is ongoing without break?

ciao
Hajo

We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
Albert Einstein
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of a genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
E.F. Schumacher
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. :-)
Albert Einstein
Share this thread:
Time to create page: 0.652 seconds