Environmental Health Risk Assessment to support City Sanitation Planning

17.9k views

Page selection:
  • jonpar
    Topic Author
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Re: Environmental Health Risk Assessment to support City Sanitation Planning

Dear Mughal, thanks for your suggestion. Certainly this would be of interest but I think it would be more likely to be possible both to organise the course and to seek funding to support the course in-country. This would be something I'd be interested to explore next year when we are at the end of the research and have some final outputs to disseminate and use as the basis for the training. best regards, Jonathan
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Dr. Jonathan Parkinson,

Would it be possible for IWA to conduct a short-course, or a workshop on this (HRA) topic at IWA HQs? You can request DFID, ADB or WB for funding. Resource persons from WEDC, WELL, Leeds and Loughborough University can also join.

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• jonpar
    Topic Author
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Dear Julius,

Many thanks for your comments/contributions and ongoing support to the our activities in Kampala with SSWARS focusing on the development and application of a methodology for assessing risks related to urban sanitation systems. Attached are the pdfs of the presentations that I gave at the workshop.

best regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan Parkinson PhD.
Programme Manager – Urban Sanitation Initiative

email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Ah, great! Thanks for the heads-up.

Yes I know Dr. Charles relatively well and I am starting to wonder how he manages all the projects he is involved in...

And yes, I will mark down the date and will hopefully find the time to attend.

I would also like to make you aware that there are currently some Swiss researchers here (SANDEC/EAWAG affiliated) that (I think) are doing a quite extensive health impact study on urban farming in the wetland areas of Kampala (which act as a sort of in-official "waste-water treatment system" for most of Kampala). I believe this might be highly relevant as an additional aspect.

When I am back in the office on Monday, I will get in contact with them and and get back to you via email to discuss the details of this further.

• jonpar
    Topic Author

Julius,

We are planning to bring this methodology to Kampala to test and discuss its viability. We will be working on this with Charles Niwagaba from Makerere University, who I am sure you know well.

We are planning an initial workshop on October 8th and then another one in mid-November to present the outcome of the rapid assessment of risks according in the two areas which we aim to apply the methodology and also the municipal systems (as described in the attached project brief and a paper presented at the WEDC conference a couple of months ago).

I hope therefore you will be able to attend and we can discuss further.

best regards,

Jonathan
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

• jonpar
    Topic Author

a very interesting response... many thanks. Although we are working with WHO with the aim to develop a methodology that is endorsed by WHO/IWA, I wouldn't say that the risk framework is too closely based on the WHO Water Safety Plan guideline. As you point out, the risk framework for sanitation needs to be different because the system itself and the institutional responsibilities are very different. This is why the way that we are developing the methodology is not to be fixed on a specific institution. Instead we perceive the need for a City Sanitation working group (as seen in Indonesia for example) to lead on the sanitation safety planning process. Also, we place emphasis on compounding causal factors which are those determinants of the environmental situation which accentuate environmental health risks related to sanitation - but are not explicitly related to sanitation (e.g. sanitation problems are worse in poorly drained areas as you mention). However, this is not to say that we have got it 100% right. We are a long way off and it is therefore very important to listen to your feedback and concerns as we are still in the process of development of the methodology and we have the opportunity to ensure that we respond to the points that you raise. best regards. Jonathan Parkinson - IWA.
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson

• jonpar
    Topic Author

Dear all, I think some people had some difficulty with the links in the previous posting. please try again. thanks Jonathan

www.iwawaterwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Even...tationSafetyPlanning

www.iwawaterwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Even...tationSafetyPlanning
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson

• JKMakowka

From what I have heard during the Kampala workshop, the concept is based (amongst other influences) on the WHO Water Safety Plan guideline. Compared to it (which is very hardware and O&M focused) assessing environmental health risks need to take much more outside(!) factors into account.

For example take flood risks due to stormwater; first of all it is already difficult to properly assess (or model), and then due to unplanned and rapidly expanding cities the impacts of it can change within months.
So unless significant man-hours and money are put into these plans and an update is done more or less constantly, they run the risk of being just another nice (and outdated) report on the shelf of a sewer utility.

So, I think it is a very interesting concept for sure, and when you are aware of it's potential shortcomings and dangers, it will definitely improve the sanitary conditions of a city.
However if I look at how WSP are promoted for each and every (small) water supply system, and seeing that this (in comparison) relatively simple concept is still often just a "dead piece of paper", I have my doubts that those "sanitary safety plans" will fare much better.

• jonpar
    Topic Author

Thanks for the feedback. Í'd be interested to hear more from you about why you consider the framework to be too broad. It covers toilets, fecal sludge, wastewater and solid waste management as it is generally a combination of these that result in the environmental health risks. I'd also encourage you to review experiences from Indonesia where something similar has already been applied to good effect. Please see www.iwawaterwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Arti...AStudyImplementation for more information about this. regards, Jonathan
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson

• jonpar
    Topic Author

please refer to the original posting with links on IWA's WaterWiki.
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson

• Meera

Could you pl share some more details on this framework?

• JKMakowka

I joined the recent workshop on this in Kampala... interesting framework/concept for sure, however maybe suffering from being too broad of a topic to properly implement.
But I am definitly going to follow this closely.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds