Measuring the cost of Diarrheas at the household level

• johnmbarbee
    Topic Author
  • Regular forum user

Measuring the cost of Diarrheas at the household level

I am doing some research on behalf of a client to isolate some good methods and research on the cost of diarrheal disease at the household level--expressed in money but also in something like DALYs. I have found some information at a global level but not at the scale that I am looking at. If you have any insights or links to a body of research on this topic, I would greatly appreciate the input!
You need to login to reply
  • muench
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

Re: Measuring the cost of Diarrheas at the household level

Dear John,
I can't quite picture what you are looking for. Maybe you could share with us what you have already found (at the global level?) and this might trigger some further responses.
And why single out diarrhea and not also other sanitation related diseases like helminthiasis (intestinal worms)? There is probably a malnutrition aspect as well. Probably really hard to delineate these different health issues.

The Wikipedia article about diarrhea is pretty good and might provide a pointer or two ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diarrhea ), the word "cost" comes up a few times (use control+F to find it) but more could be added.

Regards,
Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Community manager of this forum via SEI
(see: www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )
Wikipedian, co-founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench
  • Hope
  • Regular forum user

Re: Measuring the cost of Diarrheas at the household level

Hi John,

We're frequently on the hunt for this kind of resource as well, and recently came across this study from Malawi which has hard numbers: www.defeatdd.org/published-research/econ...ilies-and-healthcare

We have a data visualization on DALYs related ETEC and Shigella diarrhea. We worked with unpublished data to produce the piece and we're hoping it will be available in December: www.defeatdd.org/cascading-burden/

Hope this helps!

Take care,
Hope
www.DefeatDD.org

Hope Randall
Digital Communications Officer
PATH
Address: 455 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20001 USA
Tel: 202-822-0033
Web: www.defeatDD.org
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Share this thread:
Time to create page: 0.622 seconds