The Cup Kenya - a program on menstrual cups to educate and empower girls living in challenging environments

• Camilla
    Topic Author
  • Regular forum user
  • Co-founder of Peepoople and recently launched new MHM project and campaign called The Cup

Re: The Cup Kenya - a new program on menstrual cups to educate and empower girls living in challenging environments

Dear Elisabeth,

Yes, the Annual Report was brief.

The boys were added to have bigger impact. We teach the boys the same things as the girls; reproductive health, signs of puberty etc but also touch on subjects that effect boys like crime and drugs. The trainers are again role models and Joshua who is now performing the trainings has a background in crime and according to interviews he has been able to change the mind of some youths already.

The boys act differently during the trainings. Not shy like the girls but shout out their problems and questions.

The age span is the same 9-16 but mostly 11-16. The girl team does half the class (the girls) and the boys are trained at the same time in the schools. Boys only recieve two trainings compared to the girls who get four trainings. The subjects of pregnancy, prostitution, abortions, menstruation etc are more complex.

The boys are also trained as the girls in human rights (I call women rights human rights) and are taught what love is all about and how to treat a women. According to studies 60 % of underpriviliged women in Kenya think that men have the right to beat their wifes.

The parents information meetings are also important. Right now we are reaching about 1500 person a month counting boys, girls and parents/teachers/elders. Our goal is 4000 girls a month + 4000 boys + parents + teachers + elders.

Thank you

Camilla

Camilla Wirseen
The Cup
The following user(s) like this post: muench
You need to login to reply
  • Camilla
    Topic Author
  • Regular forum user
  • Co-founder of Peepoople and recently launched new MHM project and campaign called The Cup

Re: The Cup Kenya - a new program on menstrual cups to educate and empower girls living in challenging environments

Dear Diane,

I agree, sanitation and menstrual hygiene management go hand in hand as well as sex ed etc.

Buy in...well, good training is key as all.

The girls who are hesistant to start using are encouraged by their peers in our follow up session where the girls who are using share why they like it and how it changed their life (they can play soccer etc).

We also add in that a girl who is using is appointed as a mentor/trainer to a girl who is afraid so she helps her to use it.

If you want we can skype and I can share more in detail.

Many warm regards

Camilla

Camilla Wirseen
The Cup
  • Matico
  • Regular forum user

Hello Camilla,
i have read through the thread in your project menstrual cup in educating girls especially those girl in rural and urban poor communities who vulnerable to this , in my country Sierra Leone it hardly see girls with age gap of 9-14 years talk about this is a challenge or may I say a taboo to even the parent to talk about menstrual circle to their girl child. I'm a running a small voluntary organization called Water and sanitation for the Urban and Rural Poor (WASURP) .Is a new organization which was lunch few months. Our first project will be or hygiene and sanitation. Can we have your input in our project in Sierra Leone . Or to even partner with you so girls from this part of Africa can also benefit from your project. you can mail me directly if there is a need for any personal discussion This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
cheers
Matico
The following user(s) like this post: muench
  • Camilla
    Topic Author
  • Regular forum user

Re: Spreading awareness of the menstrual cup

Dear all,

Please see attached press release to a newly launched campaign which is a collaboration between Monki (H&M family), The Cup Foundation and Lunette (menstrual cup producer in Finland).

Monki has produced three beautiful videos. All aim to break the taboo and inform women there are other options to pads and tampons that are more environmentally friendly, pose less risk for infections, very cost effective and super comfortable.

See also newly published article in Newsweek: "Men fighting menstruation shaming in the developing world" where cups are again mentioned.

www.newsweek.com/2017/07/21/men-fighting...ng-world-634902.html

Best
Camilla
CEO and founder The Cup
www.thecup.org

Camilla Wirseen
The Cup

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Share this thread:
Time to create page: 0.620 seconds