Personal Hygiene (handwashing) - a note from South Sudan

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Personal Hygiene (handwashing) - a note from South Sudan

Dear Victor,

I'm glad to note that you are doing lot of advocacy for handwashing. That is great!
Keep it up and good luck!

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Augustino
    Topic Author
  • Smile to the world will smile to you...

Dear F H Mughal
after this massage i am not going back to sleep i will be weak up from my deep sleep in south Sudan the most dangerous this is diarrhea and almost it affect small children and it series killing, this cause of source of water in our country poor swearer system and water station treatment i have a allot of thing to do either in my capital juba or my village malakal
i will remember always "wash your hands with clean running water and soap or ash"

Dak Victor
South Sudan- Malakal
Augustino

• Enny

sweet Dream Mr. Hand Wash from Sudan ...

Thank you for the other alternative to cleans hand without soap ...

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Victor,

Please wait! Don’t go to sleep as yet – listen to this: According to Curtis, et al. (2000), alongside sanitation, handwashing with soap after defecation acts as a primary barrier to faecal–oral spread of diarrhoea by preventing faecal matter from entering the environment, while handwashing with soap before eating reduces transmission from faecal pathogens in the environment (Curtis V. et al. (2000), Domestic hygiene and diarrhoea - pinpointing the problem. Tropical Medicine & International Health 5, 22–32).

Research conducted by the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (Sandy Cairncross, et al. (2010), Water, sanitation and hygiene for the prevention of diarrhoea, International Journal of Epidemiology 2010;39:i193–i205) shows that 48 per cent reduction in diarrhea can be achieved by handwashing with soap.

The handwashing time varies from 10 to 60 seconds. The most advocated handwashing time is found to be 15 to 20 seconds. And, in most cases, it is advocated that if the hands are visibly soiled, ingrained with dirt, or oiled, the handwashing time should be appropriately (based on commonsense) increased. Running water iss preferred but is not essential.

The handwashing time of 15 to 20 seconds would apply when toilets are used, before cooking food and, before eating food.

One last important point: After handwashing, the hands must be dried with a clean towel, or if clean towel is not available, air-dried by waving in the air. If the hands are not dried, the wet hands will get contaminated again with germs. This point may be hard to swallow, but it is a bold fact.

Now, you can go to sleep! :) Sweet dreams! :lol:

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Augustino
    Topic Author
  • Smile to the world will smile to you...

Personal Hygiene (handwashing) - a note from South Sudan

Hi guys today i just get up from my bad now now and i need to share my ideas with you and you can help me also .. my idea is about Personal hygiene, what do you think \bout personal hygiene let us go..
It is suggested for a good Personal Hygiene to be able to bath at least one time a day.
Personal Hygiene helps people to be healthy and beautiful.
A. How to wash our hands

WHO SHOULD WASH THE HANDS?
Everyone should wash their hands: adults, the elderly, young people, children, and babies. If children are unable to wash hands by themselves, an adult should help them.

WITH WHAT SHOULD WE WASH OUR HANDS?
We should wash our hands with water and soap. To wash our hands correctly, we wet them, soap them, rub them together at least three times, clean under our nails, and rinse them with running water. We air-dry them by shaking them or we use a clean towel or rag (only if a clean one is available).

IF I DON’T HAVE SOAP, WHAT CAN I USE AS A SUBSTITUTE?
Soap is the best cleanser to use, but if no soap is available or affordable, you can use ash, sand, or even mud as an alternative to soap because all of these are abrasive so they help loosen (or “rub off”) the germs or dirt. You should then rinse under a stream of water.

IS “CLEAN” WATER, I.E., PURE OR TREATED WATER, NECESSARY FOR WASHING MY HANDS?
No, washing your hands with any water makes them cleaner if you also use a cleaning agent such as soap, sand, or ash. It is better to rinse your hands with running water.
B. Hand washing critical time for washing hands
 After defecation
 Before preparing food
 After dispose child feces
 Before breast feeding
 After returning from the field
C. Material for personnel hygiene
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
 Bathing soap
 Buckets
 Water
 Towel

this is all what i have today i wish ishare a good ideas .. now i am going back to sleep..

Victor Dak
Hygiene Promoter
South Sudan
+211915311405/+211910340356
Skype Dak Victor
Augustino

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds