Global Handwashing Day 2015 (15 October) - Feedback

43.9k views

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Global Handwashing Day 2015 (15 October)

Dear Dr. Ababu,

Thank you for your kind response, and for the attachment. I can see, the change in volume is only 0.5% at 1,000 meters above MSL.

I must admit, your posts have been highly educative for me. I'm sure, many users must have found your responses highly informative.

Thanks again,
Best regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • former member

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name Ababu who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.
The following user(s) like this post: F H Mughal

• F H Mughal

Dear Dr. Ababu,

Thank you for the pdf version. Just one minor query. In northern areas of Pakistan, many houses exist at high altitude (1,000 meters above MSL). How will that affect the calculations (equation) given by you?

If possible, please elucidate it with a example.

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• former member

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name Ababu who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.

• F H Mughal

Dear Dr. Ababu,

I can't read "Press Tap - A Simple Handwashing Device." It looks interesting.
Can you post it in pdf version?

Thanks,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• former member

++++++++

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Dear all,

Today we are glad to announce the celebration of the Global Handwashing Day, a global advocacy day dedicated to increasing awareness and understanding about the importance of handwashing with soap as an effective and affordable way to prevent diseases and save lives.

We invite all of you to make handwashing with soap a habit and promote it daily in your community. Remember that handwashing with soap is the simplest action but the most effective public health intervention. Raise clean hands for more smiles and Happy Global Handwashing Day!

Learn more about Global Handwashing Day here globalhandwashing.org/global-handwashing-day/

[Posted by Evelyn]
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

Attachments:

• mattb

Pump Aid is also running a campaign for Global Handwashing Day which we have launched today.

As a WASH NGO, working with communities on handwashing techniques is a key part of our work and from this campaign we hope to carry out a project in rural Malawi in a preschool or as they are more commonly know Community Based Childcare Centre (CBCC).You can check out our crowd funder below:

www.globalgiving.co.uk/projects/water-childhood-development/

In Malawi, access to education is key to improving the life chances of children. Recognising this, the Government of Malawi is promoting the roll out of CBCCs. These are nursery schools designed for 3 to 5 year olds. They aim to improve childhood survival, support healthy growth and prepare children for primary school. So far there are over 9,000 CBCCs supported by government and NGOs. However, many of these essential centres are nothing more than a shell. Pump Aid and its local partners are working to improve the facilities of these CBCCs to make them safe and healthy places where children can thrive.

In our project areas, at least 75% of these centres do not have adequate access to clean water, or safe and hygienic latrines. This means that children are at high risk of developing diseases such as diarrhoea, which is a leading cause of under 5 mortality, killing more than 4,500 children in Malawi every year. Access to safe water and hygienic latrines can reduce mortality rates by up to 90%. Children, especially girls are the main water collectors. They often have to travel long distances to visit contaminated water sources such as open wells or rivers. As well as the obvious health risks the time spent collecting water reduces the time available for education.

Many of our partners provide feeding programmes to the CBCCs. Ensuring children get at least one nutritious meal a day reduces rates of stunting (a common consequence of malnutrition) and actually encourages children to attend the CBCC. However, without clean water and safe toilets to use, children fall ill. Some will die. Parents will need to spend precious funds on treatment and the children miss out of vital early education.

In a country where 51% of children do not finish their primary education, ensuring that CBCCs are utilised is an absolute priority if the cycle of poverty and dependency is to be broken.

WHAT WE DO:

Our aim is simple.

- Ensure children have access to safe water.
- Ensure from the earliest possible age, children develop healthy and hygienic practices for both drinking water and toilet use.

We encourage better hygiene and sanitation practices in CBCCs through skilled community facilitation with the children, caregivers and parents. Well before pump installation, we partner with CBCCs to assess their needs, making sure pumps are situated for maximum benefit to users. We train caregivers and parents in pump maintenance and repair. We help the CBCC to improve sanitation practices, by building appropriate toilets and carrying out interactive learning sessions to help young children understand the importance of improving their hygiene behaviours. This helps reduce and ultimately end open defecation practices and enables children to live healthy and fulfilling lives. We also work with caregivers to set up kitchen gardens to provide food to feed children at CBCCs. As well as working with the CBCC, we work with the surrounding community to help improve sanitation and hygiene behaviour. The CBCC equips caregivers and mothers with the knowledge and practice of good hygiene and sanitation to share with others to make a lasting impact.

Find out how #waterchanges everything via PumpAid's video for #globalhandwashingday

• linda

Re: Logo Global Handwashing Day

Hi Hanna,
Thanks so much for your quick response! I realized my email got stuck somewhere. Good that susana exists!
Regards
linda

• WASHanna
    Topic Author

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update that the GHD Planner's Guide is now available in French. Download it here: drive.google.com/file/d/0BzyZRSlq0pLBaWl0clA3QWRvSGc/view
Hanna Woodburn
Acting Secretariat Director
Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
@WASH_Hanna

• WASHanna
    Topic Author

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your message. I know that we have had a number of requests for the logo, but I don't recall seeing one from you, so I apologize that I didn't send it already. At any rate, I have attached it here. Please let me know if you have any questions and please let us know how your celebration goes by completing the form found here: globalhandwashing.org/global-handwashing...olved/submit-events/.

Best,

Hanna
Hanna Woodburn
Acting Secretariat Director
Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
@WASH_Hanna
Attachments:

• linda

For an inauguration of group handwashing facilities in Moshi (Tanzania) on 15th of October we want to print t-shirts with the global handwashing logo (drop soap and hand). Unfortuantely, if you download the logo from the website globalhandwashing.org/resources/global-handwashing-day-logo/ it comes only in very low resolution.
My question: Can we print the t-shirts without an approval from the globalhandwashing team and if yes, where do I get the logo in higher resolution?
I already submitted an email, but did not get a reply so far.

Thanks in advance. Linda

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds