dewats and horizontal planted filters

40.5k views

Page selection:
  • secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Re: dewats and horizontal planted filters

Thank you for the suggestion Detlef - we have added the document to the SuSanA Library, which can be found through this link: www.susana.org/lang-en/library?view=ccbktypeitem&type=2&id=1933.

Kind regards,

Roslyn
on behalf of the SuSanA Secretariat
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Dear Susana-office,

May you add this older 1998 DEWATS ABR- design manual by BORDA to the public SUSANA online library.

1998: www.ted-biogas.org/assets/download/Sasse1998.pdf English, 160 pages,
(NEW: vABR max. 1 m/h! up-flow velocity)

Please make sure to add NEW: vABR max. 1 m/h! as this older book is recommended in the past too high 2 m/h up-flow velocity.

Thanks,
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

• AquaVerde

- Summary on Research and application of anaerobic baffled reactor (ABR) in China, 2013
forum.susana.org/media/kunena/attachment...aerobicbaffledre.pdf

- Summary on DEWATS (ABR) in rural and cold areas in China, 2012
forum.susana.org/media/kunena/attachment...1.No.6.1595-1602.pdf
www.aqua-verde.de

• AquaVerde

Dear Mike,

Be very careful to apply straight after any ABR's the slow-sand-filter technology. This very fine sand-filter (0...2mm) coming original from the drinking water sector and it is often the last treatment step (100% removal of bacterias...) for proper pre-treated raw water like from rivers or lakes.

If inflow of ABRs do not have any effluent-filters: e.g.
within its outlet and if "upstream" not protected against storm-water flows by a proper engineered "overflow": e.g.
, ABR-sludge will end up on top and in your slow-sand-filter, clogging the whole filter system very fast, likewise any CW.

Even the DEWATS having after ABR planted gravel filter, to cope with flushed sludge better, are not enough to protect 100% a possible slow-sand-filter.

If your water (effluent) quality demand is very high I suggest:

proper "overflow" --> Settler --> ABR with effluent-filter --> CW --> slow-sand-filter

see example of a modified slow-sand-filter after Settler-ABR-CW, to supply hygienically "cleaned" toilet-water to a swimming pool/fish-pond in Germany:

All the best
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de

• MichaelCarr
  • From Liverpool, UK. Background in military, engineering, education & sales. Published author. Write novels, illustrated children's books, film, TV script. Interest in eco living, have a created a four-part off-the-grid living system and a UDDT.

Hi PK: all this dewats looks very interesting - I've seen other water systems using step down gravity feeds, such as in old bathtubs, to cleanse/filter water but nothing as organised as dewats. Have you heard of slow-sand water-filters PK? (you can google it) similar idea but in one pot - I would be very interested to find out if that could be used in conjunction with dewats

cheers
Mike

• jankn

Thank you for noticing Detlef. It should work now.
Jan Knappe

Doctoral Researcher on environmental performance assessment and modeling of on-site wastewater treatment systems
Trinity College Dublin & University of Limerick
Email: jan.knappe(at)tcd.ie, Twitter: @JanKnappe

• AquaVerde

Dear Jan,
May you check on your link: www.ficcirealestatesummit.com/Presentations/PS-Jayakumar.pptx‎
, it is not functioning.
Thanks
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de

• jankn

Hi Prem!

I can only agree to Detlef; you will get a way better understanding of DEWATS if you join for the CDD Society training course on DEWATS design. It will cover the complete designing process of settler, ABR, anaerobic filter (AF), and planted gravel filter (PGF) and you will have the chance to interact with DEWATS engineers with more than 10 ears of experience. You find the brochure here:
cddindia.org/images/Brochure.pdf

Engineers trained by CDD Society just recently implemented a modified DEWATS at a housing complex in the south of Bangalore (VBHC, 750 qm) with a vortex system (developed by CSR Auroville) instead of a PGF to significantly save space (but use some electricity instead). I have seen this system only a few weeks ago, it is not yet running on full capacity but it might be interesting for you to see how it is implemented. You find some more information here:

www.ficcirealestatesummit.com/Presentations/PS-Jayakumar.pptx
www.igep.in/live/hrdpmp/hrdpmaster/igep/...ent/.../Mr.Lars.pdf‎

There are also some DEWATS in Bangalore that are implemented for individual houses (less than 5 qm). Prefab-DEWATS has, at this time, a capacity of ca. 10 qm but could be increased by combining different modules.

Hope that was of any help.
/Jan
Jan Knappe

Doctoral Researcher on environmental performance assessment and modeling of on-site wastewater treatment systems
Trinity College Dublin & University of Limerick
Email: jan.knappe(at)tcd.ie, Twitter: @JanKnappe

• MichaelCarr
  • From Liverpool, UK. Background in military, engineering, education & sales. Published author. Write novels, illustrated children's books, film, TV script. Interest in eco living, have a created a four-part off-the-grid living system and a UDDT.

Hi there: thanks for your response. Part of the problem is and always will be sewage systems / or lack of / or poor maintenance. Therefore my product takes the sewage system out of the equation and relies on nature to do the job through aerobic thermophillilc composting. My target market is householders, initially in rural areas. I find in my travels that Indians have a cavalier attitude to anything public and therefore my system may not work if it is not down to personal / householder responsibility. However, the demand for a toilet for every household and school is huge and would go a long way to resolving the current ecological disaster that occurs on a daily basis. My system separates NPK and solids at source and converts them into a product, rather than mix them and create toxic waste, which you then have to deal with.
I have a business plan, developed with www.elephantdesign.com Singapore, and I am currently negotiating with UWC -United World College Singapore to do the intitial R&D and prototyping - Too many advantages to list of my product but you can see from my site.
I would love to see any photos of your product and a progress journal of your project, I am happy to post it on my web blog - might drum up some business for you -
Please check out my kabook-i build system also - It is a very solid and economical way of building houses - It's free to use info - just need to post me any photos and notes on projects you develop with this method
PS: I am looking for seed funding to get bigger grants for R&D to prototypes to go to market : )
I have a business plan which I developed with elephant design with a grant from SPRING Singapore
Elephant Design also very hands on in India with a large network - please let me know of any links you have of mutual interest

PS: if they are making cement squat toilets surely that means pit latrine, right?

PPS: In my system, a bag is inserted into container and damp sawdust etc added. After poop, more sawdust added, covering poop completely. Damp sawdust stops nitrogen / smell from escaping.
Bag is removed when almost full and dumped in composter in garden. When full, composter is left for xxx months to turn into humus, which householder then uses to grow food.
The humus/formula can also be used as cover material for the toilet. ie; once you have generated compost there is a never ending lifelong supply.
I have some ideas how to also make the formula actually smell really nice and pleasant to use.

stay in touch
best regards
Mike
Attachments:

• AquaVerde

Dear Prem,

I listen in the news about recent extreme weather condition in your area. How you managed through?

I still think you will receive a better know-how transfer by colleagues from India.
Kindly check out:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/35-bio...s-training-on-dewats

The DEWATS-desimination partner of BORDA in India offering training and pre-fab ABRs to companies and individuals on a commercial basis. The upcoming engineers training from 2nd to 6th December 2013, at Bangalore might suit your needs most. Past example: www.borda-sa.org/news/newsdetails-south-...-september-2013.html

Let us know about your "home made" experiences.

All the Best
Detlef

www.borda-net.org/fileadmin/borda-net/Se...ages/08HoSan_web.pdf

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
www.aqua-verde.de

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• pondskater
  • Topic Author

Hi Mike,
Thanks.there is a huge interest in our part of India in these eco friendly solutions and in Kerala, our neighbouring state, there is a powerful movement of activists trying to implement these kind of eco safe systems - many resorts / hotels in Kerala, which is a very popular with tourists from all over, now discharge sewage directly into rivers. The Dry / UDT toilets from Auroville are a huge success and they are working flat out to make these, they use cement moulded tradional toilet seats ( Squat? ) and these are installed as fast as they can make them. So we have a lively process already taking place. WHat would be also interesting and, I feel, popular is low water toilet systems.
Initially I had wanted to build dewats plus planted filters commecially however I now think it would be best, if I could get the technology right with my own system, in my house, I could then educate people here that these kinds of relatively simple systems, especially for larger users, are available and can be done. If I can interest a mason / other small contractor in learning the technique and taking it up as a commercial venture, I will be happy to do that.
There are two areas, in India, that need to be addressed. Small eco friendly sewage systems for houses, typically with between 4 to 6 people using, which needs to be built to high standards and the commercial dewats systems for hotels/ resorts and large apartment buildings. All our cities have underground sewage systems but with a building boom going rural and suburbs, there is a huge need for dewats contractors. In my state of tamil nadu, the government has made it mandatory for large apartment buildings, even in our cities, to have a sewage treatment system / pre treatment system. will browse your site and
Will keep you posted
PK

• pondskater
  • Topic Author

Detlef,
thanks. Auroville is a non profit and is overloaded with work providing dry toilets in areas where there is no toilets at all.
I am a builder - we build houses for rich people and our work is commercial. I had met and communicated with Centre for scientific research at auroville over a period, they are simply too overloaded with important work, they are unable to provide the know how and hands on supervision.
WIth the information on this site, combined with information on traditional septic tanks in our state and as a builder who constructs entire houses, reinforced cement concrete structure / poro therm hollow block and cement walls, I have enough skills along with my civil engineer and architects team to construct my first dewats system. I will construct the horizontal planted filter later as I do not understand dimensions and other details for that.As you said earlier - it's not rocket science and since the first system will be in my own house I can experiment and get it right.
I do feel however a full engineering drawing in our library will be a very useful feature. Will keep you posted on how I get along.
PK

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds