Knowledge and Network Officer- Sanitation (WaterAid, London)

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Knowledge and Network Officer- Sanitation

Hi Kris,

By the way, the position by Oxfam has now been filled with Esther Shaylor. You can see her forum profile here and she's bound to make more posts in future and be in touch with SuSanA working group leads and members:
forum.susana.org/component/kunena/161-sa...any-experience#15317

What you said about the person for this project being located in a developing country: the same thought process also took place with us which is why the project manager position for this project was advertised to be located in Nairobi, Kenya (with the SEI Kenya office). See here:
forum.susana.org/component/kunena/20-job...-nairobi-kenya#19570

I believe that job ad has closed now and applicants are being interviewed so we'll see who has been found. :)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Yeah, it's not too bad for 4 days a week, but having been in London a few weeks ago I was terrified by the general price level there. You might as well call it "Ripoffdon" ;)

See:
www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-na...d-work-a3192981.html
www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/london

So taking this in mind, I doubt very many people will find the salary attractive.

But there are also other reasons why being based in a place like Kampala (or somewhere in India?) for example would really help doing this kind of work, as it would be much easier to follow actual pilot projects etc.

• jonpar
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Hi. Salary is not massive but it's not that low is it ? www.monster.co.uk/career-advice/article/...verage-salary-graphs
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: Violaa

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Interesting suggestion, Kris. I will let WaterAid answer that one.

Dear all,

Just thought I should mention that this position is part of the project funded by the Gates Foundation to support SuSanA which I had posted about here:
forum.susana.org/component/kunena/139-in...-within-susana#19285

The grant is called: "Supporting sustainable sanitation through knowledge management and collaborative action within SuSanA". So if you get this job then you and I would be working together in future! :-)

There are also two more positions about to be advertised for this project (both with SEI; one will be for a position mostly in Eschborn and partly in Stockholm; the other one will be for someone located at the Nairobi office of SEI - following the same train of thought that you, Kris, had mentioned in your post!)
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Sounds like an interesting position, but has it been considered to allow posting in one of WaterAid's regional offices instead of London? For various reasons that would be probably much more attractive for many applicants and the relatively low salary (given the extremely high cost of living in London and current low GBP exchange rates) would also become less of an issue.
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• aditichandak
  • Topic Author

Knowledge and Network Officer- Sanitation (WaterAid, London)

jobs.wateraid.org/vacancy/knowledge-and-...494/513/description/

Knowledge and Network Officer-Sanitation (0494)

Salary:£33,066, pro rata for 4 days per week
Job Category:Programmes
Contract Type:Fixed Term
Full-time/Part-time:Part-time
Closing Date:2 November 2016
Planned Interview Date (week commencing):14 November 2016

WaterAid is looking for a Knowledge and Network Officer - Sanitation, to play a vital role in our mission to transform lives with safe water, sanitation and hygiene in the world’s poorest communities.

This is a 12 month fixed term contract, with a possibility of being extended a further 12-24 months, subject to securing external funding.

Working within the Programme Support Unit, International Programmes department, the Knowledge and Network Officer - Sanitation will

Champion learning, knowledge sharing and communication and strengthen the participation of the global south on the SuSanA platform. The Officer will focus on improving, strengthening and maintaining WaterAid’s and its partners' participation on SuSanA. The Officer will also facilitate and moderate specific thematic discussions and webinars around sanitation, in relation to areas of working groups. Along with thematic discussions, the Officer will also curate information for sharing drawing upon WaterAid’s and Partners' current and past projects on the themes. The role requires being proactive and use networking skills to promote participation and contribution in SuSanA.

Ensure strong networking and collaboration with key stakeholders internally and externally to embed WaterAid’s evidence and learning through SuSanA in the WASH sector and beyond
To be successful, you’ll need to have:
  • A degree in the Social sciences, Public Health Engineering or related field or equivalent experience.
  • Extensive experience in determining and implementing learning and knowledge sharing activities using innovative and empowering approaches; sound knowledge of WASH with in-depth knowledge and experience of sanitation in developing countries.
  • Ability to research, synthesise information and analyse its relevance and communicate it in accessible formats.

By 2030 we want everyone, everywhere to have clean water and sanitation. We need you to help us make it happen. If you bring your expertise, passion and professionalism, we’ll give you a lot back.

Working with us, you will be entitled to a wide range of employee benefits, such as an exceptional pension fund, medical cash plans, an employee assistance programme, generous annual leave and Save As You Learn schemes, as well as fitness and lifestyle programmes.

Please note: in order to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.

Please refer to the website for the process of application. This vacancy will end one minute before midnight on the closing date specified. No recruitment agencies please.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds