How to get hired for your first job (in the WASH field)?

Page selection:
  • cmampuya1990
    Topic Author

Re: How to get hired for your first job (in the WASH field)?

Thank you so much Elisabeth and Mughal for your suggestions!
I will make sure to take them into account! I've started to apply for internships in NGOs and companies. Please don't hesitate if you hear about any internship or whatever position that may be interesting for me to get experience.

Cheers

MAMPUYA M. N'Zinga

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

I agree with Elisabeth's suggestions. While civil engineering consulting firms go for people with experience, they can take interns. But this will require personal visits to the offices of the consulting firms. NGOs may hire new entrants relatively easily.

Good luck, brother!

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear MAMPUYA Mazebo N'Zinga,

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here as we don't often hear from people from DR Congo or Burkina Faso.

Yes, the problem that you describe is a really hard one that many people at the beginning of their career face. (and yet we also talk about a "capacity gap" that we don't have enough people in the WASH sector with the right qualifications...)

I have two small suggestions for you:
  1. Get your name out there and well known by making good, constructive posts here on the forum about topics that you feel passionate about! :-)
  2. Look for internship positions with NGOs, companies, international NGOs etc. - which may start out as being unpaid or low paid, but may give you a chance to get experience and to prove yourself? I know the internship route is a method for quite a few young graduates in Germany to get into jobs at GIZ, for example.
Good luck!

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: F H Mughal

• cmampuya1990
    Topic Author

How to get hired for your first job (in the WASH field)?

Hi everybody

My name is MAMPUYA Mazebo N'Zinga, from DR Congo (but currently living in Burkina Faso). I am a Young Engineer in Water and Sanitation with a specialized Master in Humanitarian WASH. I'm looking for my first job contract.
I have a concern and I know maybe everyone of you faced it one day. I need your testimonies and your advises

My concern is: "What are the advised ways to get hired for a Young WASH Engineer? Where and how to apply?". I have this concern because I use to look at the offers from NGOs and for almost all the positions, they ask for a few years experience. Since I have been searching I have never seen a position for new graduate Engineers.

Thank you

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds