I would prefer to not use capital letters for toilet types in articles, e.g. urine-diverting dry toilet

• muench
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

I would prefer to not use capital letters for toilet types in articles, e.g. urine-diverting dry toilet

Dear Chris (Canaday) and all,

We are both doing edits on Wikipedia these days (which is great) and I notice that I often find myself changing your way of referring to different toilet types. So I would like to reach a consensus here with everyone to avoid frustrations.

So for example in the captions of images of the dry toilet article ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_toilet ), you wrote:
"A Urine-diverting Dry Toilet, with a funnel to catch that golden fluid on the left."

I made it:
"A urine-diverting dry toilet, with a funnel to catch urine is also a dry toilet."

Or in another caption you wrote:
A Bucket Toilet, which is also a type of Container-based Toilet.

I made it:
A container-based toilet or bucket toilet, another type of dry toilet.

I don't see a reasoning for using capital letters here? Am I missing something? We also don't say "A Flush Toilet is a method of xxx".

Strangely, it does seem that Arborloo is always written with a capital A (?), and I am used to that by now.

Looking forward to seeing a discussion on this and then a consensus emerge which we could then stick to. Thanks.

Regards,
Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Community manager of this forum via SEI
(see: www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )
Wikipedian, co-founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench
You need to login to reply
  • Carol McCreary
  • I'm Program Manager at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Re: I would prefer to not use capital letters for toilet types in articles, e.g. urine-diverting dry toilet

I tend not to agree. UDDT is established and clear.

Carol

Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.
  • muench
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

Re: I would prefer to not use capital letters for toilet types in articles, e.g. urine-diverting dry toilet

But I mean in sentence when we feel like spelling out the abbreviation?
I would write: "They have built new urine-diverting dry toilets", rather than "They have built new Urine-Diverting Dry Toilets". Do you tend to agree? Maybe that's what you meant with your reply but I wasn't sure.

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Community manager of this forum via SEI
(see: www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )
Wikipedian, co-founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench
  • Carol McCreary
  • I'm Program Manager at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Elisabeth,

Apologies. I was hurrying.

Yes. UDDT = urine-diverting dry toilet.

Does it make sense to put urine-diverting dry toilet (UDDT) in first mention in a text and thereafter UDDT?

Carol

Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.
Share this thread:
Time to create page: 0.552 seconds