How about improving the Wikipedia page on Swachh Bharat Abhiyan?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: How about improving the Wikipedia page on Swachh Bharat Abhiyan?

Thanks, Carol, good idea! I am already on the list as a presenter for future monthly SuSanA-SEI webinars and will check with Sarah if I can do it before the end of the year.

Meanwhile, I was hoping that in this thread, people who know a lot about Swachh Bharat Abhiyan could easily point out what is missing or wrong on the Wikipedia page about Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. They could then fix it themselves or list it here so that I could fix up the page for them.

So if you know anything about SBA, please take a look here and tell us what's missing:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swachh_Bharat_Abhiyan

Thanks.

Elisabeth

P.S.
If someone wants to know the answers to Carol's questions, please browse in these threads on the forum:
www.forum.susana.org/forum/categories/19...edia-and-other-wikis

And if you don't want to wait for my webinar let me give you some quick answers below:

How does Wikipedia actually work?
- it works because there are a bunch of volunteers out there who have the aim to make good quality encyclopedic content available to anyone anywhere, free of charge. Luckily, there is enough good will out there to far outnumber the few vandals and idiots that also exist on Wikipedia.

What are the benefits of crowd-sourced information?
- The information on Wikipedia is actually not really crowd-sourced. It's the crowd who adds to Wikipedia but they have to use reputable, reliable sources (i.e. these are not "opinion pieces" or original research).

How good is the information?
- It varies. For most health related content, the quality is by now rather high due to dedicated editors from the Wikiproject Medicine (a few hundred people). As a reader you can judge the quality of the article yourself by looking at the sources that have been cited in the article. You can also judge by taking a look at the Talk Page of the article (see tab at the top of each Wikipedia article). Articles are judged on a scale where C is OK, B is good, A is very good, FA is featured article (even better) etc. See here for an overview for the Wikiproject Sanitation (see the column called "assessment"): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProj...tation/Popular_pages

What are the system's built in protections against poor quality info?
- There are bots that can pick up and revert vandalism automatically. And then there are people who are "watching" articles (like myself): any page that I have edited or that I care about, I have put on my watch list. This means I get an e-mail notification when the page is changed and can then decide to undo the change if necessary, with a couple of mouse clicks. Some pages are watched by hundreds of people, some are only watched by a handful.

How do Wikipedia articles compare with peer-reviewed articles?
- This is not a valid comparison. Wikipedia articles are not trying to be like peer-reviewed articles. Instead, they are trying to cite peer-reviewed articles, as well as publications by UNICEF, WHO, Worldbank, SuSanA etc. and create encyclopedic content that way.

How can SuSanA partners enhance organizational learning and expand the knowledge base through Wikipedia?
- Get involved in Wikipedia. Discuss with peers (experts and non-experts) how the content can best be presented. Each article has a "talk page" associated with it which you can use for discussion.

How does editing work and how does one get started with editing?
- Click on the "edit" button at the top of an article and get started! Start by improving small things like typos and language clarity. Continue by adding reputable sources and further content (not just your own opinions though). It's best (but not mandatory) to get yourself a login name (most people don't use their real name but a cryptic name, e.g. I am EvMsmile on Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EvMsmile )

And here is a definition of encyclopedic (from the respective Wikipedia page of course):

An encyclopedia is a type of reference work or compendium holding a comprehensive summary of information from either all branches of knowledge or a particular branch of knowledge.[2]

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Carol McCreary
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Re: How about improving the Wikipedia page on Swachh Bharat Abhiyan?

Great suggestion, Elisabeth.

How about making Wikipedia the topic of a monthly webnair? Questions like these:
How does Wikipedia actually work?
What are the benefits of crowd-sourced information?
How good is the information?
What are the system's built in protections against poor quality info?
How do Wikipedia articles compare with peer-reviewed articles?
How can SuSanA partners enhance organizational learning and expand the knowledge base through Wikipedia?
How does editing work and how does one get started with editing?
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

How about improving the Wikipedia page on Swachh Bharat Abhiyan?

I had mentioned it in one of the other threads already but let me create a dedicated threat for this. To all the people that have contributed to this thematic discussion:
How about improving the Wikipedia page on Swachh Bharat Abhiyan together?

You can see what it currently looks like here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swachh_Bharat_Abhiyan

The part on rural toilets is very brief.

If you have content to contribute but don't know how to edit in Wikipedia, I can help with this. The most important thing is to cite reputably sources for any content that you add.

So, can we take anything from this discussion and add it to the Wikipedia page about Swachh Bharat Abhiyan? I have already created some redirect pages in case people search for "Clean India" or "Clean India Mission". These search terms now redirect to the SBA page. Are there other terms that should also lead to there? SBM and SBA seem to be both in use as abbreviations for this.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds