Concept of Massive Open Online Courses for SUSANA and its members & users?

64k views

Page selection:
  • bilqis

Re: Concept of Massive Open Online Courses for SUSANA and its members & users?

I support this concept. I would like to propose that the posted lectures/notes include sound and clear information focusing the contexts.
Bilqis

++++++++++
Note by moderator (EvM): it is great that this topic has attracted so many new people to post for the first time. Welcome! But: the style on our forum is that you should briefly introduce yourself or edit your forum profile to give at least your full name, location, country and your affiliation if you have one. You can edit your profile here:
forum.susana.org/forum/profile/edit

You find more information about how and why to edit your profile and add an introduction here in the help section:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/134-us...-such-as-a-signature
or here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/134-us...-to-be-a-photo-of-me

You can also simply edit your first post and add a 1-sentence introduction of yourself by clicking on the "edit" button below your post (this button is visible after you log in).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • madeleine
  • Sanitation is dignity and life. Through living and working 15 years in (Mozambique) where Cholera is endemic, the importance of sanitation became evident, furthermore it is clear that sanitation is more than an infrastructure

Hi all
Sounds interesting. We can organize a venue for the group in Stockholm for sure.
By coming to Stockholm to the house of Nexus it might be an interesting topic for SuSanA-
At SEI we have conceptulized how it would be possible to work with the nexus from a global scale down to a local scale. From a SEI perspective we se the Prodcutive Sanitation as good application model for a local application.
Another interesting topic would be the SDG and how to go ahead what does new goals with national target entails.
madeleine
Madeleine Fogde
Program Director SIANI
Senior Project Manager at SEI
Tel +46 (0)8 6747652
Fax + 46 (0)8 6747020
Cell + 46 737078576
SKYPE mfogde71811
Kräftriket 2B
SE-10691 Stockholm
www.siani.se
www.ecosanres.org
www.sei-international.org

• MalRoyalE
  • Hi. I'm Melvyn, Environmental Scientist

Hi, This is a fabulous idea. Since most of the people here are environmental scientists, then why not extend the subjects covered by these courses to include the whole of environmental science.
I taught A level Environmental Science for 7 years, until the college lost interest in the subject. I do strongly believe there are zillions of adults and teenagers out there who would love this concept to study, learn, and apply their knowledge in practical ways.
Indeed, some of the "course work" could easily include practical projects. Doing things for real can teach each one of us, so many things, even after all the years we've been doing things. So how much more the students.
Keep me posted. I would love to help, and or be involved.
Melvyn
Hi, I'm Melvyn, Environmental Scientist, pioneer of vertical flow, modulated, reedbeds since 1996.
My reedbeds have been built for numerous Industrial uses, as well as domestic and holiday camp / caravan site waste water treatment.
Reedbed filtration for iron mine water flows, and as part of polluted ground restoration.
The reverse of the reedbed design can be used to filter air pollution.
I have also been a tutor of environmental science at UK's A level.

• AquaVerde
    Topic Author
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Dear Dorothee,

I do not have a specific topic in mind. Mr. Mughal and Mr. Sahidul had already some interesting topics.

Today I had a first try on "Circular Economy - Online Course" on the mentioned platform. Maybe I am too much of a dummy ;) . Up to now it is for me cumbersome to take part in that webinar. Maybe this is a first lesson, the platform have to be made much more simple to use, for "dummies" like me B)

In my opinion this possible MOOC for SUSANA is very much related to: "having equal access to many key information on water & sanitation issues" [Open Source] forum.susana.org/forum/categories/10-by-...artner-organisations too.

Best Regards,
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de, AquaVerde Ltd. Zanzibar
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

• estherlaz

I think its a great idea and I like to participate.

Thanks

Esther Lazcano Carreño
Lima. Perú

• cyokyere

Thanks Mr. SCHWAGER,

This is certainly an important suggestion. I will add that the course should be broad-based with also a focus on rigorous impact evaluation of water and sanitation projects.

Regards,

OKYERE, Yaw Charles

• sahidul93
  • Better Environment, Better Life

This is fine. But the contents should be in concise form. If there is any course regarding exclusively for fecal sludge management, it would be helpful to us.

Thanks,

Engr.Sahidul
Md.Sahidul Islam
Assistant WASH Officer
UNHCR, Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Mobile: +8801712124330
www.unhcr.org

• Ecowaters

Over the years, ecological sanitation free online courses have been conducted through skillshare, P2PU, etc. It is worthwhile.
Book writer, researcher, workshop presenter, eco-toilet vendor, market transformer

carol-steinfeld.com (personal)
www.ecotoilets.org (soon)
ecotechproducts.net
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• jkeichholz

Thx!

This also reminds me of a video proposal we've made some time ago (forum.susana.org/forum/categories/54-wg-...-video--khan-academy) which meant to put more ~ "sanitation in plain english" videos on YouTube & Co.

Now, what I like about this MOOC approach is that it's bottom-up - which certainly is a great branding opportunity for the SuSanA network!
Juergen Eichholz
watsan eng.
water, sanitation, IT & knowledge management
www.saniblog.org

Toilets in Frankfurt/Main www.facebook.com/ffmtoi
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary, tmsinnovation, RowanBarber

• pcofie

Dear Dorothee,

I will like to take part in this trail. When is it taking place?

Waiting to hear from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

Peter (Peter) Cofie.

• dorothee.spuhler
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Dear Detlef

Thanks for sharing this and making the initiative!
I do not know how much the SuSanA secretariat as "SuSanA" is able to take this forward, but I would suggest to form a WG1 task form on this? A workshop could be hold during the next WG meeting (in Stockholm?) to see how to move forward and who of the SuSanA partner organisations and member could contribute what (there is a lot of material already online that could be reused).
What we are currently providing is many PPTs on different topics within SSWM (Sustainable Sanitation and Water Management) online in the SSWM Toolbox (when a topic has already a PPT available for download and reuse, a icon appears below the title of a factsheet on a certain topic, see ere for instance: www.sswm.info/category/background/backgr...l-issues/water-cycle).
Within a specific topic page on the same Toolbox we have one course designed for university level, where we also started to upload videos, see here: www.sswm.info/category/step-university/sswm-university-course or here: www.sswm.info/category/step-university/m...odule-1-sustainabi-3). This could all be reused and further developed.

What topic did you have in mind?
The concept could be tested with a short online course on sustainable sanitation and the criteria for the assessment of sustainability o sanitation systems or even more general... (all based on SuSanA knowledge and publications prepared in the past already).

Kind regards

Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Mr. Detlef,

This is an interesting suggestion and, I fully support your views. WEDC, Loughborough University, UK, is currently running the following online courses:

Development, Disasters and Sanitation
Emergency Water Supply and Sanitation: A WELL course
New! Rural Sanitation at Scale
Soft Skills for Water and Sanitation Professionals: A WELL course

I would suggest that SuSanA may examine the possibilities of running free online courses on sustainable sanitation. Online courses are significant stepping stones for building the knowledge - in this case, in the field of sanitation.

Cheers,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
The following user(s) like this post: rahul, vilmaurora

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds