Do we know that climate change will affect developing countries more than developed countries? Good references for this?

• muench
    Topic Author
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

Do we know that climate change will affect developing countries more than developed countries? Good references for this?

I have heard it many times before and it makes a lot of sense to me:
Climate change will affect developing countries more than developed countries; often because their current climate is already a rather "difficult" one, e.g. very hot, high dependence on rain-fed agriculture; little resilience in their infrastructure; and of course for many small Pacific island states: low altitude, close to sea level.

My question to you today: What reference would you recommend to substantiate such a statement?

I ask because I want to include something along those lines in the Wikipedia article on global warming:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

It does not yet say enough about developing countries yet. The word "developing countries" even appears only 4 times in the article. (I used again the combination of the Cltr key on my keyboard + F to find out).

As an aside: I learned that the Wikipedia article on climate change does not really deal with the man-made part of it (I went there first). This is dealt with in the article on global warming. (see talk pages of both Wikipedia articles).

Second aside: I have recently added a fair bit of content to the Wikipedia article on developing countries, e.g. making the connection with sanitation issues and SDG6:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_country

It needs a lot of further work. Join me if you care about educating the public about developing countries! It is linked to from many other Wikipedia articles and gets about 2000 views per day.

Regards,
Elisabeth

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum via SEI project ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
E-mail me to get involved: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: fppirco
You need to login to reply
  • fppirco

Re: Do we know that climate change will affect developing countries more than developed countries? Good references for this?

Dear Muench

Climate change is very critical issue which shows itself in South Asia and Middle East, where my country Iran is located . Unprecedented increasing temperature (1.5 Celsius) this new year in comparison with last years in spring is an indication of climate change . Declining raining and long term water scarcity (about 2 decades) are all critical climate change consequences which are arising rapidly and will impact on all ecosystem, environment, biodiversity and economic issues as well as social issues and certainly its impact will be more sever in countries with transition economy.

Mohammad Mojtabaei
www.fppir.com/
  • fppirco

Re: Do we know that climate change will affect developing countries more than developed countries? Good references for this?

Meet the Human Faces of Climate Migration
People move for many reasons – economic, social, and political. Now, climate change has emerged as a major driver of migration, propelling increasing numbers of people to move from vulnerable to more viable areas of their countries to build new lives.

read more in below link:
www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2018/0..._TT_worldbank_EN_EXT

Mohammad Mojtabaei
www.fppir.com
Attachments:
  • arno
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

The mismatch between the countries that cause climate change and those that have the most difficulty to adapt to global change is striking. This is illustrated here where the red tones are the "free riders" and the green tones are the "forced riders" also with high vulnerability.

Figure caption:
(a) Climate change equity for 2010. (b) Climate change equity for 2030. Countries with emissions in the highest quintile and vulnerability in the lowest quintile are shown in dark red (the climate free riders), and those countries with emissions in the lowest quintile and vulnerability in the highest quintile are shown in dark green (the climate forced riders). Intermediate levels of equity are shown in graduating colours, with countries in yellow producing GHG emissions concomitant with their vulnerability to the resulting climate change. Data deficient countries are shown as grey. Maps generated using ESRI ArcGIS

Reference is
Glenn Althor, James E. M. Watson & Richard A. Fuller. 2016. Global mismatch between greenhouse gas emissions and the burden of climate change. Scientific Reports 6:20281. doi:10.1038/srep20281
www.nature.com/articles/srep20281#f1

Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org
Current project affiliation: www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: fppirco
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 1.610 seconds