Water and sanitation access in France, exclusion issues in advanced capitalist countries

• abrown
    Topic Author
  • Water and santation educator and researcher, University of California Santa Cruz graduate student, PHLUSH board member

Re: Water and sanitation access in France. | Accès à l'eau et à le sanitaire en France

Thanks for sharing this information, Cecile. I read briefly about this effort for a national law for water/sanitation in France on the Coalition Eau website the other day, but I didn't know it required:

"local authorities would make available and would maintain sanitary facilities for the poorest people: public toilets and free in public more than 3500 inhabitants, public showers and free for the poor in public over 15,000 inhabitants."

Good to hear. Also, I wasn't aware that there are around 2 million in France without safe water (as referenced in the Abbot Pierre Foundation report). Now I'd like to get a copy of that report. Have a great day!

Thanks again.
Abby

Read more about my work and find my contact information at:
www.abigailbrown.net
www.waterfortheages.org
You need to login to reply
  • ben
  • Water and sanitation engineer

Re: Water and sanitation access in France. | Accès à l'eau et à le sanitaire en France

Abby,

Here is an article on rom campsites that might interest you, from aquaterre (Strasbourg)

Ben

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• abrown
    Topic Author
  • Water and santation educator and researcher, University of California Santa Cruz graduate student, PHLUSH board member

Greetings. Just want to thank you all again for providing such valuable input on water and sanitation exclusion in France.

Here is a brief update. Back in Paris again this summer for more preliminary fieldwork and additional French language studies. Conducting actual fieldwork in Paris next summer. My project is centered on understanding which bodies are excluded from centralized water and sanitation infrastructure in high-income and low-income countries alike and how different types of actions (e.g. grassroots efforts, informal access, transnational networks, policy change) can help counter such exclusions. So the study is using the urban lens to examine technical, political, and social aspects of water and sanitation exclusion around centralized water and sanitation infrastructure. It is shaping up to be a multiple city study. The goal is to compare infrastructure in high-income and low-income cities. Paris and Dakar are certain. New York and San Juan are likely.

Finally, I've linked up with two other graduate students [one from India and one from France] to engage in a public-awareness project while working on this study. We are working on a photo-book that will juxtapose sanitation exclusion and sanitation workers in six cities around the world [Paris, Dakar, New York, San Juan, London, and Mumbai]. The book will have an accompanying traveling display panel and lesson plan for schools and organizations in the six cities. It will be open source, and is primarily aimed at raising awareness around linkages in sanitation exclusion and sanitation work around the world.

Anyone in any of these field-sites with an interest in either of these projects is encouraged to contact me at ablbrown [at] ucsc [dot] edu! Have a great day!

www.abigailbrown.net
www.waterfortheages.org
The following user(s) like this post: muench, ggalli
  • jmily
  • Gret

Hello Abby,

About Paris, you should also contact Pr Bernard Barraqué, economist
www.centre-cired.fr/spip.php?article749

Regards,

JM

Research & Development
The following user(s) like this post: abrown
  • abrown
    Topic Author

Thanks JM. I will check this out.

www.abigailbrown.net
www.waterfortheages.org
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.863 seconds