Citywide Inclusive Sanitation - This is almost same as conventional sanitation. So, what is the difference?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Citywide Inclusive Sanitation

If you want to know more about citywide inclusive sanitation then you might enjoy this presentation:

Abishek Narayan (Eawag): Planning for Citywide Inclusive Sanitation
www.susana.org/images/SuSanA_Meeting_26/...S--QQ-for-SuSanA.pdf

It was presented at the last SuSanA meeting (meeting page: www.susana.org/en/news-and-events/sanita...na-meeting-stockholm)

The filmed presentation is available here (fast forward to 23:13 in the video):

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

I think Daniel is right, the "Citywide inclusive sanitation" puts an emphasis on also serving those who are currently not served with sanitation services.
The currenty "conventional" system is that only those who either live in sewered areas or have septic tanks are properly served. Everyone else who lives outside of those areas is left to fight for themselves with often dodgy solutions that may also be relatively expensive and unsafe (I am thinking of unsafe pit emptying here).

In that sense "conventional sanitation" probably is limited to sewers or septic tanks.

The pdf file that Mughal had linked to says:

Deliver ʻsafe managementʼ along the whole sanitation service chain:
- Address complex problems rather than
deliver fixed solutions
- Allow for a diversity of solutions and
approaches, focusing on outcomes
rather than technologies
- Focus on innovation, testing and
evaluating approaches
- Recognize the trade-offs that
exist along the sanitation service chain
- Facilitate progressive realization, building
on what is already in place– embrace incrementalism

This sounds quite promising and might open the door to things that we have discussed here before, e.g. container-based sanitation systems, novel fecal sludge management schemes, UDDTs.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: indiebio

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Mr. Daniel,

Thank you for your response. I used the word "conventional" sanitation, so as to differentiate it from the citywide sanitation. With conventional sanitation, I mean the normal sanitation that we are having.

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• ddiba
  • Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute and Co-lead of SuSanA WG5

Dear F. H.,
My understanding is that "citywide inclusive sanitation" originates from the fact that in many developing countries, existing inequalities cities often lead to having parts of a city that are fully covered with sanitation access (i.e. household or institutional toilets and sewer network) while other parts of the city, typically slums or similar low-income areas, are under-served with fewer household toilets/pit latrines, no sewer coverage and perhaps inadequate coverage of pit emptying services. So the "citywide" and "inclusive" part of the phrase is largely to emphasize that such low-income areas should not be left out in the planning and implementation proces for sanitation infrastructure and services in a city.

However, I wonder how exactly you define "conventional sanitation"?

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Ddiba
Co-lead for SuSanA WG5: Productive sanitation and food security
Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute
www.sei.org/revamp
LinkedIn: Daniel Ddiba
Twitter: @DanielDdiba

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

A world Bank 4-pp brochure defines citywide inclusive sanitation as follows:

Citywide inclusive sanitation means that: everybody benefits from adequate sanitation service delivery outcomes; human waste is safely managed along the whole sanitation service chain; effective resource recovery and re-use are considered; a diversity of technical solutions is embraced for adaptive, mixed and incremental approaches; and onsite and sewerage solutions are combined, in either centralized or decentralized systems, to better respond to the realities found in developing country cities. Cities need to develop comprehensive approaches to sanitation improvement that encompass long-term planning, technical innovation, institutional reforms and financial mobilization. They will need to demonstrate political will, technical and managerial leadership, to focus on durable drivers for innovation, and to manage funding for sanitation in new and creative ways
pubdocs.worldbank.org/en/589771503512867...usive-Sanitation.pdf

This is almost same as conventional sanitation. So, what is the difference?

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Doreen
    Topic Author

City-wide sanitation services, event in Stockholm WWW (28th August 9am)

Dear All,

For those interested, I found a feature story in the World Bank website on City wide Inclusive sanitation linked to last years World Toilet Day. For more information, please visit this link:

www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2017/1...orld-toilet-day-2017

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

- World Toilet Day – November 19 – is an apt time to recognize that proper sanitation is key to building thriving and healthy cities.

- On World Toilet Day, we showcase a series of videos highlighting some good practices in ‘Citywide Inclusive Sanitation’ from around the world.

- Citywide Inclusive Sanitation means everybody benefits from adequate sanitation, with human waste being safely managed at every point along the service chain.

Best regards,

Doreen
Doreen Mbalo

GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Policy Advisor in Bonn, Germany
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds