new publication: Assessing and forecasting groundwater development costs in Sub-Saharan Africa

Page selection:
  • kanalwolf
  • Leif Wolf - Program Manager - Background: Hydrogeology and Integrated Water Management

Re: new publication: Assessing and forecasting groundwater development costs in Sub-Saharan Africa

Dear Elisabeth,
thank you for sharing this information on the publication from Xenarios and Pavelic.
Comparing costs for developing groundwater resources in different countries and consideration of the cost barriers to a safer water supply is an important topic, which is not widely published with useful quantitative data.
I can also recommend Paul Pavelic´s earlier work on managed aquifer recharge, a good introduction is available at:
www.nwc.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/00..._completeREPLACE.pdf

Deaar Mohammad dear others,
You are raising important questions for groundwater management and as a hygrogeologist i agree that this worth discussing. However, I u understand that in SuSanA we are asked to focus on the links between Sanitation and Groundwater, e.g.:
1. Planning of sanitation systems which do not contaminate groundwater bodies
2. Planning of groundwater based water supplied which are not at risk from wastewater systems
3. Reuse of (treated) wastewater for managed groundwater recharge (or artificial recharge)

You will find a quite active group in topic 3 also at:
www.iah.org/recharge/

I agree that are certainly a lot more options to implement artificial recharge with stormwater and, where drinking water quality aquifers are not directly at risk, also treated wastewater can be used for artificial recharge.

With regard to questions of overexploitation, intrusion of brackish groundwater etc I am happy to discuss a specific question, but would rather not think that we can cover all the hydrogeology science in this forum.

With best regards,
Leif Wolf

Dr Leif Wolf
Co-Lead of Susana Working Group 11 : Sanitation & Groundwater Protection

Program Manager at PTKA

www.researchgate.net/profile/Leif_Wolf/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: new publication: Assessing and forecasting groundwater development costs in Sub-Saharan Africa

Dear SuSanA Working Group 11 on groundwater issues,

I thought some of you may find the information on this groundwater publication useful (see below).

Regards,
Elisabeth

++++++++++++++++++++

Von: Vogel, Horst GIZ LC
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 14. August 2013 11:21

Dear Colleagues,

Groundwater is the prime water resource in many rural areas on the African continent.

Greater use of groundwater is also a pre-requisite for improved adaptation to the impacts of climate change.

Yet, the costs associated with groundwater development are prohibitively high and poorly defined. A recent study on Assessing and forecasting groundwater development costs in Sub-Saharan Africa (see here aquadoc.typepad.com/files/2852_publ.pdf) identifies
and disaggregates the costs of groundwater development in 11 Sub-Saharan African countries.

Best regards,

Horst M. Vogel

Horst Michael Vogel Ph.D.
Head of Programme (PGL)
Caribbean Aqua-Terrestrial Solutions

Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
CARICOM-CARPHA: Environmental Health and Management Unit
P.O. Box 1111
Morne Fortune
Castries
Saint Lucia
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• fppirco
    Topic Author
  • I am independent EH&S researcher in natural resources recovery ,water,wastewater,agro_food ...fields.

[Wg11] WG: Groundwater in Africa

Dear Elisabeth and colleagues in working group 11

Thank you for sending information  ,In  south west Asia  countries such Iran,Afghanistan are rely on ground water as main resources ,unfortunately
annual raining rate decreased in recent years together with  increasing temperature  arose progressively sever drought consequence , extra exploitation of ground water resources without any balance  recharging  for water using replacement cause sever drop aquifers and watershed  level , water quality changing because of  brackish water movement to fresh water aquifer make great concern .
I hope W11 group will move to pay more attention to these concerns and offer some proposals (for example ground water aquifers resources
artificial  recharging)  with bio remediation and other simple practical approach for rural area or small urban communities.

With best regards;

Mohammad Mojtabaei
Fanavar Pajoheash Pooya FPPIR CO
Telfax:00985117629569 
P.O Box:91865-358
Mashhad,Iran
www.fppir.com
www.fpp.ir
Researcher and consultant

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds