2nd European Sustainable Phosphorus Conference (ESPC2), Berlin, Germany (March 2015) - now with feedback, presentations online

Page selection:
  • scottchen
    Topic Author
  • trying to set up the most profitable Ecosan project for the world

Re: 2nd European Sustainable Phosphorus Conference (ESPC2), Berlin, Germany (March 2015) - now with feedback, presentations online

Hi, Joeturner:
Thank you for your valuable information.
My resarch is trying to find out how useful the urine is.Now, I have 25000 fans and over 6000 customers who like my fruits.
best wishes
Scott
The general manager of SHEN ZHEN BLUE WATERS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS LTD , the sole importer of Separett AB waterless toilets in China.
Chen Xiang Yang, an apple dealer,is growing apples and cherries with the human waste collected from 31 school UDDTs donated by SOHO China Foundation, based in Tianshui City, Gansu Province , China. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., tel:0086 151 9380 3972

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • joeturner

Re: 2nd European Sustainable Phosphorus Conference (ESPC2), Berlin, Germany (March 2015) - now with feedback, presentations online

Also worth remembering that the loss of Phosphorus is causing environmental damage.

I was hearing at a conference in Copenhagen about the concept of Planetary Boundaries (see www.stockholmresilience.org/21/research/...tary-boundaries.html) of which one of the most urgent is biochemical flows into the sea of nitrogen and phosphate.

We have the rather stupid situation whereby we need more phosphate for food to feed the growing population, but we are allowing it to be lost into the sea, where is it causing (possibly irreversible) environmental damage.

On the possible reuse potential of human urine, one paper I was reading suggested that it could account for 22% of the global demand if collected.

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0045653511001925

• arno
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

Re: Berlin Visit to the 2nd European Sustainable Phosphorus Conference (ESPC2)

Recycling phosphorus from organic sources including products from our sanitation systems, animal manure systems, food processing and other sources is a necessity if we are to manage our environment but also in order to better manage this fossil resource that is finite. The EU is almost entirely dependent on imports of P for fertilizer (90% from outside the EU). And as the US and Chinese commercial rock reserves dwindle over the next 30 years, the entire world will be more and more dependent on the reserves in just one country, Morocco (at present holding 75% of the world's commercial reserves). The geopolitics of phosphate rock have been thus far ignored. A sign of change is that phosphate rock was placed on the EU critical raw materials list by DG Enterprise last year.

This second EU conference on sustainable phosphorus shows that both industry and governments within the EU are scaling up activities to recycle P from waste sources. But there remains much to do since we have built over the past decades mammoth disposal systems for both solid and liquid waste without reuse in mind.

This from www.ciwem.org/knowledge-networks/panels/...-vital-resource.aspx

The total amount of phosphorus in urban wastewater in EU27 is about 1,145,000 tonnes P2O5/y. This is equivalent to 34% of the total 3,400,000 tonnes P2O5 per year imported by the EU27 (Rosemarin et al., 2010). About 595,000 tonnes P2O5 ends up in biosolids; that is 52% of the phosphorus in wastewater. Overall 37% of the biosolids was recycled to farmland, which is approx. 220,000 tonnes P2O5 per year. Thus, only 20% of the phosphorus in urban wastewater in the EU is recycled, the rest is squandered by failing to capture it (48%) or by 'losing' it in landfill or ash, etc. There is considerable potential to improve capture, recovery and conservation of phosphorus.

Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org

• scottchen
    Topic Author

Dear Elisabeth:

The biggest surprise for me is that a French Pig raising company, COOPERL, has built "UDDT"s for their pigs for phosphorus recovery since 2010.

There are 700 million pigs in China and the waste is equal to the pollution of 7 billion people.

Thus, I plan to market Cooperl technology in China for the environment and food security.
The speaker is Sebastein Home.

best wishes
Scott
The general manager of SHEN ZHEN BLUE WATERS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS LTD , the sole importer of Separett AB waterless toilets in China.
Chen Xiang Yang, an apple dealer,is growing apples and cherries with the human waste collected from 31 school UDDTs donated by SOHO China Foundation, based in Tianshui City, Gansu Province , China. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., tel:0086 151 9380 3972
Attachments:

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Scott,

Thanks for giving us this feedback about the conference. How was your presentation received? Did you feel like an "outsider" or did you find many like minded people?

I had a quick look at the conference summary document which looks really interesting. Searching for the term "sanitation" in the document only gave one hit though (your presentation), but searching for the word "wastewater" gave a few. That's probably due to the fact that the conference had more of a European focus.

Here is the link to the conference summary document:
www.phosphorusplatform.eu/images/scope/S...11_special_ESPC2.pdf

Here is the link where all the presentations and posters are now available:
Presentations: www.phosphorusplatform.eu/conference/esp...ns-at-the-espc2.html
Posters: www.phosphorusplatform.eu/conference/esp...6-espc2-posters.html

Further information (includes policy action proposal): www.phosphorusplatform.eu/conference/esp...6-espc2-posters.html

Scott or Arno, there is such a wealth of knowledge here - can you recommend and of the presentations that you listened to which inspired you in particular? Please guide us to the gems!

Another interesting link I found on the conference website's twitter feed is this one by the European Compost Network:
www.compostnetwork.info/

Organic Waste in Circular Economy

More than 350 leading experts and decision makers in the field of phosphorus management followed the invitation by the German Phosphorus Platform and the European Sustainable Phosphorus Platform to join the second European Sustainable Phosphorus Conference (ESPC2015) on the 5-6 March 2015 in Berlin, Germany. The European Compost Network organised and chaired a successful round table on ‘Nutrient recycling in compost and digestate'.

The summary of the conclusions on nutrient recycling in compost and digestate is available here:http://www.compostnetwork.info/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/150306_ESPC-II-Berlin-conclusions-group-5-compost-and-digestate.pdf

The poster presentation that was given additionally by ECN can be downloaded here: www.compostnetwork.info/wordpress/wp-con...PC2015_ECN_final.pdf

--> wondering whether these compost experts are also interested in faecal matter composting and how/if they could be encouraged to get involved in our discussions about composting on the forum, including the Wikipedia work:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/70-composting-processes

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• scottchen
    Topic Author

FIY. I made a short speech to 350 representatives from 35 countries attending the ESPC2 on March 5th, 2015.At the end, I emphasize that the world can not afford to have a hungry and thirsty China.We need your help to tell our policy makers the right sustainable way.
All the posters would be publised by the organizer very soon at the website.
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• scottchen
    Topic Author

2nd European Sustainable Phosphorus Conference (ESPC2), Berlin, Germany (March 2015) - now with feedback, presentations online

Dear Colleagues:

I am going to make a short prensentation on using urine to grow fruits as requested by ESPC2 www.phosphorusplatform.eu/conference/espc2015.html .

If you had any good technology to handle the human waste or aninmal manure, I would be very appreciated if you could meet me.

China has the largest population in the world and the biggest food secrity threat.This kind of confernece should have happened in China.

By attending the conference, I can market the right sustainability concepts to Chinese people.

The attached picture shows you that we were demonstrating the waterless toilet, Villa 9000 of Separett, during the SARS period, in 2003.

My dream is not to become an big businessman selling fruits but selling eco-toielts benifits such as natual and good taste of the fruits...

Sooner or later, the customers would buy the eco-toilets protecting our environment by themselves.

Wish you all a success career!

Scott

best wishes
Scott chen

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds