Grow strawberries with the UDDT urine (Gansu Province, China) - and EPA proposal in Sweden

Page selection:
  • HakanJonsson

Re: Grow strawberries with the UDDT urine (Gansu Province, China)

Thank you in advance,
Håkan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • scottchen
    Topic Author
  • trying to set up the most profitable Ecosan project for the world

Professor Jonsson:
This report was done by the students of Beijing Science and technology financed by SEI. I send you the report in Chinese first. Possibly, i could find the English version for you later.
best wishes
Scott
The general manager of SHEN ZHEN BLUE WATERS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS LTD , the sole importer of Separett AB waterless toilets in China.
Chen Xiang Yang, an apple dealer,is growing apples and cherries with the human waste collected from 31 school UDDTs donated by SOHO China Foundation, based in Tianshui City, Gansu Province , China. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., tel:0086 151 9380 3972

• HakanJonsson

Thank you very much for your reply.
If the report is in English, I would be very grateful if you can send it in digital format.
Keep up the good work,
Håkan

• scottchen
    Topic Author

Professor Håkan Jönsson :
Yes, the urine is stored in the urine tank underneth the school toilets over several months but the temperature is uncertain.
We applied urine two months before the harvest when the strawberry were quite small and young.
Convincing SOHO China Foundation to install UDDTs was not an easy work. At the very beginning, I carried on Separett Villa 9000 to their office and they refused my proposal. After their construction of 10 water flush toilets and found there were no water to flush the toilets and nowhere to emit the waste water, they came back to me finally.
Beijing Science and Technology University had a report about the school UDDTs. We can send it to you if you need it.
best regards
Scott
The general manager of SHEN ZHEN BLUE WATERS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS LTD , the sole importer of Separett AB waterless toilets in China.
Chen Xiang Yang, an apple dealer,is growing apples and cherries with the human waste collected from 31 school UDDTs donated by SOHO China Foundation, based in Tianshui City, Gansu Province , China. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., tel:0086 151 9380 3972

• HakanJonsson

Dear Scott,
Great work!
But just as Elisabeth, I feel a little bit worried as there can be some hygiene risk associated with the strawberries that grow lying on the plastic which has been flooded by urine. But perhaps you made sure that the urine had been stored long enough, 6 months at 20 deg C, or that there were 1 month between fertilization and harvest. There are several ways to ensure good hygiene and I hope you have used one of them.

I am very impressed by your work to convince the SOHO Foundation to install UDDT. Is there any report on the performance and acceptance of this installation?

I am impressed by your work!
Keep it up,
Håkan

• scottchen
    Topic Author

Professor Håkan Jönsson :

Thank you for your detailed explanations to Elisabeth about how i applied urine to the field. Actually, we just let the urine flow through the grooves between the plots before it had flowers before the lunar new year.

The customers are in big cities over one thousand km away and i had to pick up the strawberries before it matures and become red 100%.

However, the taste and smell is still much much better those applied with chemical fertilizers.

For the cherry and apple trees, we just apply the urine to the ground under the trees 3 times a year.

Thanks a million for your infomation about the urine storage regulations change and the 2018 phosphorus recovering targets in Sweden. These data sounds encouraging to me that I am on the right way in my life.

Later, I will post more reports about my work for your reference.

FIY. I have been the sole agent of Separett waterless toilets in China since 2006. Arno , SEI,knows me very well. He and I, togeter, convinced SOHO China Foundation to construct the UDDTs for 20,000 students in Tianshui city.

best wishes
Scott
Attachments:

• HakanJonsson

Dear Scott Chen,
Elisabeth von Muench asked me if not your use of urine for strawberries might be a bit risky from hygiene point of view. I calmed her on that one, because I saw on one of your photos that you had covered the ground with a black plastic lining, probably to get clean berries, and that the berries were on top of the lining. I believe that the urine was applied underneath the plastic, probably before the plastic was applied, which means probably at least a month before the berries were picked. Thus, you had safety barriers both in terms of a plastic lining and time. This seems fine with me.

Here I can also mention that the Swedish EPA in their last proposal has downgraded the hygiene risk associated with urine. Previously the normal storage requirement for hygenic quality for large scale use of urine was 6 months. Now they propose decreasing this to 1 month. (See in Swedish: www.naturvardsverket.se/Documents/publik...-6580-5.pdf?pid=9620 ). The document is in Swedish but has an extended summary in English

I am however curious: Why are some strawberries white?

Good luck with your project,
Håkan

Håkan Jönsson
Prof. Environmental Engineering
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
Department of Energy and Technology
Uppsala, Sweden
kt-et.slu.se

++++++

From the English summary of the document:

Urine
Another possibility for recycling phosphorous from waste components is to sort
out urine. Urine contains comparatively low concentrations of substances such
as cadmium and high concentrations of nutrient materials, which makes urine
a relatively sustainable alternative. However, our sewer systems are not configured
for sorting today. Therefore, from a short-term perspective the potential for
recycling phosphorous from human urine must be regarded as limited.
As things now stand, we believe it is possible to carry out recycling of
phosphorous through sorting at the source of human urine and/or WC water
for households that already have urine-sorting systems as well as for private
sewers that do not meet legal requirements for purification and where new
installations are needed. Today this applies to about 130,000 sewers, which
corresponds to about 90 tonnes of phosphorous per year. If all households in
Sweden establish urine-sorting WC systems, with which 75 percent of urine
could be collected, there is a potential for recycling 2,350 tons of phosphorous
and 28,600 tonnes of nitrogen per year.

[...]

Proposal for a milestone target
The Swedish Environmental Protection Agency proposes an intermediate
objective for the environmental objective system that is aimed at stimulating
increased resource economising and recycling of nutrient materials that are
free of hazardous materials to the extent possible. The proposal reads:
The eco-cycle of nutrient materials should be resource-efficient and free
of undesirable materials to the extent possible. The application and removal
of nutrient materials should be in balance in forests and agriculture. Waste
management systems should be developed to facilitate sustainable recycling of
nutrient materials.

By 2018 at the latest:

• At least 40 percent of the phosphorous in waste will be utilised and recycled as nutrients for fields without entailing exposure to pollutants that pose the risk of injuring people or the environment.
  • At least 10 percent of the nitrogen in waste will be utilised and recycled as nutrients for fields without entailing exposure to pollutants that pose the risk of injuring people or the environment.
  • Stable manure will be utilised on farmland so that the application of nutrient materials is in balance with their removal.
  • At least 50 percent of food waste from households, institutional kitchens, shops and restaurants will be sorted and treated biologically so that nutrients are utilised, of which at least 40 percent is treated so that energy also can be utilised. (Already decreed by the Swedish government.)

The following user(s) like this post: canaday, Marijn Zandee, Guinya

• scottchen
    Topic Author

Grow strawberries with the UDDT urine (Gansu Province, China) - and EPA proposal in Sweden

For testing the effectiveness of the urine as a fertilzer, I applied 10 tons of urine mixed with water for 3 Mu (1800 square meters) strawberries with a harvest of 400 kg fruits at a price of 120 Yuan a kilo. Over 200 customers were quite satisfied with the good flavor and smell even though the color are red and white. One customer even said the quality is better than those imported from Janpan.

The yield was quite low because the feild is newly developed greenhouse.
It proves again that the urine can bring surprises to the customers.
The test started Dec 2013 and ended in April 2014.

For more information about my work, please refer to forum.susana.org/forum/categories/91-pro...-successful-business
Attachments:

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds