Strategic Plans for Public Toilet Management in Australia

• sujatha
    Topic Author

Strategic Plans for Public Toilet Management in Australia

Australia appears to offer several best practices and frameworks for public toilet management. Below are a few reference links that I found while researching for a GIZ-supported project involving technical assistance to the Government of India around public toilets management .

www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/sites/default/fi...idelines_updated.pdf
www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/__data/asset...Strategy-Adopted.pdf

And a toilet map - toiletmap.gov.au/
The following user(s) like this post: muench, F H Mughal
You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Strategic Plans for Public Toilet Management in Australia

Dear Sujatha,

The publications are interesting. Could you kindly indicate the website from where you got these 2 publications.

Regards,

F H Mughal

F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
  • muench
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

I've moved back to Brisbane, Australia, recently and I continue to be amazed on an almost daily basis at the state of public toilets in Australia, at least in Queensland. They are everywhere, they are for free, they are clean, they have toilet paper (soap is sometimes missing though), they are not vandalised, there is no attendant visible although I assume the attendants are probably coming by daily to clean them and to check on them. I am so impressed by them - have never seen anything like it! Certainly not in Germany where public toilets are often vandalised unless they have an active surveillance system including paid staff on site (whom you are meant to tip which can be awkward, I find). Something about the Australian psyche which makes them care about public toilets more than anywhere else in the world!? Let's learn from them and see if it can be copied.

As far as I know, all this is achieved by staff of local councils, e.g. Brisbane City Council. I would say "tax payers money well spent" as it increases the livability value of the city. One notices it in particular when one is out and about with young children or with elderly people. I am sure Carol from PLUSH in Portland would also be deeply impressed if she could see these toilets here.

Dear Mughal,
I think she got them from the Brisbane City Council and Sydney City Council's websites, respectively.

Regards,
Elisabeth

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum via SEI project ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
E-mail me to get involved: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Elisabeth,

Your post gave me 2 pleasant surprises:

1. Queensland: I'm so happy to learn that they have clean toilets

2. Germany: Why would people vandalize the toilets? Germany is a great country. People are educated, so why this vandalism?
With vandalism, do you mean people take away the fixtures; or they spray the toilets with paints to deface them?

Regards,
F H Mughal

F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.799 seconds