Smart sanitation subsidies?

Page selection:
  • JKMakowka
    Topic Author
  • Just call me Kris :)

Smart sanitation subsidies?

Yes lets discuss the "dirty" word in sanitation :S

I think most professionals agree that especially more complex sanitation systems in (peri-) urban settings will need some quite substantial subsidies to work.

Yet especially in NGO circles fully "market" based or "no-subsidy" approaches are the current fad (due to some partially understandable reasons).

However those approaches and subsidies do not need to contradict each other, as well designed subsidies can start markets and/or support only some parts were negative externalities can not be overcome otherwise.

A few weeks ago I wrote a draft text for our network members to quickly summarize some good approaches for "smart" subsidies, which I have attached below.
Also interesting are these two publications that can be found in the SuSanA library:
www.susana.org/lang-en/library?view=ccbktypeitem&type=2&id=1197
www.susana.org/lang-en/library?view=ccbktypeitem&type=2&id=2010

But there seems to be a lack of well documented cases and especially ways to attempt to subsidize eco-san approaches over other maybe less environmentally sustainable solutions.

Thus I would be very interested to hear from experiences you had or very practical publications on the topic you might have come across.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: suggestions for or corrections on the attached fact brief are also welcome.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds