Reply: Handwashing Day 15th October 2022, a look back at where we have come from i.e The Tippy Tap

66.7k views

Page selection:
  • emmanuelkas2004
    Topic Author
  • Mr. Kisembo Emmanuel

Re: Tippy Tap in schools way to go?

Dear Elizabeth,
Hope you are fine and doing well, i really understand your point but we are still trying many ways to see which can serve better. Tippy Taps are very cheap to implement though every one says that they don't last its true but they are effective and you are worried about the long cue you no for children first of its fun for them to wash hands so every one is at least eager to have water its life another game. We can also improve it by (1)putting five Jeri canes on the same rod so that five children can wash at once (A round). (2)This time we can use metallic bars plant them with cement and a wire for the string to make firm to hold five small Jeri canes and more durable. Since every one says they don't last.
we are also researching more measures to prevent enteric diseases among children.Like we can use Onions get a piece and rub into our hands to kill the germs. I am still thinking of how best we can use it.
Kisembo Emmanuel
Executive Director Team Work Afrika (TWA)
Nsambya, Makindye Road, Ave-Maria Stage P.O Box 28982 Kampala - Uganda- East - Africa
Tel: +256 (0) 712-994-236/0778-203-944
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Personal This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • themessenger
  • Founder, AirCell Structures Ltd. We design and manufacture aid response & community products for sanitation, hygiene & shelter

Re: Tippy Tap in schools way to go!

Your evaluation of the Tippy Tappies is unfortunately pretty true. The volumes tend to be 5-25 litres and the wastage per use is difficult to control.
After seeing some primitive British Red Cross field hygiene of a similar nature sent to us from the Southern Zimbabwe cholera control clinics, I designed and manufactured our own range of water dispensers using self-priming foot pumps and standpipe delivery of water. We call them the WWashPot (40litres) and the WWashTank (600 litres) - see them on www.aircellstructures.com.
I know they don't use local resources and you will find them expensive, but they work, they are robust and long lasting. Why tip up a Tippy Tappy and use 500ml of water when you only need 80ml twice to do a better job? Why have to replenish that Tippy Tappy ever couple of hours, when you can have over 3500 double portions measured out from a 600 litre unit with 4 separate foot-pump positions? Eventually the economics of a bought-in solutions don't look so bad.
I design these products to work and to help and they have been used in Haiti elsewhere and most recently in Mozambique in the floods.

AirCell Structures Ltd
85 Moore Park Road
London SW6 2DA
UK
T +44.207.731.7542
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.aircellstructures.com
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: bones

• hajo
  • retired in Germany... but still interested in water and sanitation... especially in OSS... and especially in Africa...

hello Elisabeth and all,

see more under new topic 'Fit For School' in the 'school category' (forum.susana.org/forum/categories/27-sch...ls-in-moshi-tanzania)

ciao, Hajo
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
Albert Einstein
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of a genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
E.F. Schumacher
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. :-)
Albert Einstein

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Kisembo,

You have started an interesting thread, thanks for that. I like the picture that you put in your first post of this thread. It shows the realities of life... However, how long would these children have to queue up to get to the front of the queue and will they really be so diligent to wait for 5-10 minutes until it's their turn (their break might be over by then)?

So the group handwashing facilities are really important at schools, and the question is: how can they be implemented cheaply.

Hajo: as you are based in Tanzania, have you made contact with GIZ yet? I heard that they are gearing up to implement the Fit for School program that was so successful in the Philippines (see the guide that Kris posted above) also in Tanzania. Perhaps Shobana, who was a SuSanA secretariat inter and who is now with GIZ in Tanzania can tell us something about their plans.

Greetings,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• emmanuelkas2004
    Topic Author
  • Mr. Kisembo Emmanuel

Dear Julius,
It is indeed a great deal involved children since they can adapt to it very fast, easier for them to set up, the material are locally available so when it breaks they can easily make another one. Its all about changing their mind set. I mean show them why Tippy Taps,educate them about the enteric diseases that affect children. Show them figures of their fellow children who die every year due to poor hygiene (or not washing their hands after any dirtying activities) i think they can make Tippy Taps part of them. Well i know there are more better measures like proving them hand sanitizers where a bottle of sanitizer is attached to the toilet where you just press the lotion and smear your hands without washing. This needs some external financial support.where as Tippy Taps is our personal resources from you pockets.
I have taught girls how to make sanitary pads from cheap available materials and have adapted to it and it is working for them especially those girls from marginalized families.
Kisembo Emmanuel
Nsambya, Makindye Road, Ave-Maria Stage P.O Box 28982 Kampala - Uganda- East - Africa
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Personal This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• emmanuelkas2004
    Topic Author
  • Mr. Kisembo Emmanuel

Hi Calistorapai,
It is a great pleasure hearing from you, your idea is a good one. But i had proposed Tippy Taps because it is less costly and as a preventive measure in reducing enteric diseases among children and their mothers since it does not involve touching the tap instead you step with your feet to get water.Secondly am intending to use my personal resources,since i haven't got any external support in terms of finances.The brick facility is durable fine and sounds effective but expensive to set up and it needs some funding (external financial support)many can be installed in many areas of our reach and can reduce child mortality rate in our country.
Kisembo Emmanuel

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Sorry, not really, but I might be also involved in something like that soonish.

• hajo
  • retired in Germany... but still interested in water and sanitation... especially in OSS... and especially in Africa...

Krischan, thanks for the link, gives some good ideas..

do you have practical experience with any 'group handwashing facility' at schools which you can share?

ciao, Hajo
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
Albert Einstein
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of a genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
E.F. Schumacher
Albert Einstein

• JKMakowka

Have a look at this manual (Field Guide: Hardware for Group Handwashing in Schools by Fit for School):
globalhandwashing.org/wp-content/uploads...ashing-in-School.pdf

• hajo

hello,

we are about to start a school WASH project at 10 schools in Moshi Urban with an emphasis on hand-washing with soap. The hand-washing will be done as a group activity, thus 20-40 pupils washing at the same time.

Therefore a single tap or tank outlet will not suffice and I also think that tippy taps are not durable enough.

Who has possibly experience with a set-up of 20-40 outlets, possibly regulated (open/close) centrally and a simple trough catching the wash water to a soak away or banana plant? What material has been used? Must be cheap and durable! Any suggestions, drawings, internet links, etc are appreciated.

Thanks and ciao, Hajo
Albert Einstein
E.F. Schumacher
Albert Einstein

• calistorapai

Hie Emmanuel
i agree with JKMakowka. that thing is not sustainable. i have been implementing Tippy taps since 2009 and i can safely conclude that it need serious improvements. last year we installed 13400 tippy taps in the communal areas. we started by creating demand for that facility through PHHE sessions and community healthy clubs, community members liked the idea and after a year everyone had a tippy tap at his/her household. after three maonths i went back to the area of operation to see if they are still using the facility less than 1% of the household were still using the facility. most of the mentioning that its not strong and it easly breaks. for you Emmanuel i propose you can use handwashing facility constructed by brick for schools. a tippy tap will not last at a school . i have attached the picture of the handwashing facility which proved to be strong for schools

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• JKMakowka

Hello Emmanuel

Try to involve the children in building the tippy-taps. From UWASNET's experience during the WASH United project it's a nice promotional activity and will allow them to maybe do the same at their home.

That said, I personally don't think tippy-taps make much sense at a school... they simply do not last very long with so many users, especially careless children (besides the general fact that the plastic containers usually break quickly because the UV irradiation makes them brittle and the handle breaks off).

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds