Is there a standard for handwashing taps/stations to learners?

48.3k views

Page selection:
  • kamrun

Re: Is there a standard for handwashing taps/stations to learners?

Dear Jona 

Thanks for your concerns, as of now my hard-disk is crashed so unable findout the relevant photos, request kindly send the photo, I shall redress your query plz. 
with kind regards
M S Khan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Jona

Dear MS Khan,

The water tank looks huge. How is it refilled after all the fresh water has been used? Bucket by bucket manually? Is a water truck coming?

Best,
Jona
Business Development Manager
LAVESE - aquanesa solution

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear M S Khan,

Yes, please send detailed photo descriptions for each one, also where they were taken, when and by whom.
Also, could you please send the photos to me in their original resolution by using dropbox (or some other file sharing system). If I grab them from your forum post then they are in lower resolution which is not ideal.

Once we have the photos and descriptions, they can be added to the SuSanA flickr photo database, e.g. see here what we have already for handwashing:
www.flickr.com/photos/gtzecosan/collections/72157626218075550/

Thanks,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• kamrun

Dear Elisabeth,

The photos are sent but it needs narration about its usages. The model are developed after use and knowing the pros & cons thereafter. If you wish I can send brief about those for better understanding.

with warm regards
M S Khan

• kamrun

Dear Elisabeth,

Thanks for your updates. GPHWS is abbreviation form of Group Hand Washing Station. As you mention about photos same are attached herewith for your information.

Some of design photos are attached . If you need write up thereon can be sent as required.
Attachments:

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear MS Khan,

Thanks for your reply and the very nice photos!
Does GPHWS stand for group handwashing station?

Please don't send the information to just me by e-mail but rather put them here for all to see and access on the forum. If you have lots of photos to share how about putting them into a Dropbox folder and then sharing the link?

Another option could be the same as what I suggested to Jaques here:

Regarding photos, I looked through your report and I like many of them! E.g. page 16 in the Pakistan report. Would it be possible that you can share with us ALL of your photos from those 4 reports? Just pop them into a dropbox folder and I could grab them from there? I would then upload them to the SuSanA flickr photo database and from there they get into the Wikimedia Commons photos repository of Wikipedia from where they can be shared further. If you don't want to make all available but only a selection, that's also fine - up to you. Sometimes it takes longer to make a selection though, that's why I thought sending the whole lot could be easier.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• kamrun

Dear Elisabeth,

Thanks for response on the GPHWS. The details with different types, we developed, shall be sent to you with all photos very shortly.

with regards
M S Khan
Attachments:

• Elisabeth

Dear M S Khan,

Would you like to share your group handwashing models and photos here in this thread (or in a new thread)?
Are they part of this publication?:
UNICEF, GIZ (2016). Scaling up group handwashing in schools - Compendium of group washing facilities across the globe. New York, USA; Eschborn, Germany

That compendium was mentioned on the forum by Jan Schlenk here:
forum.susana.org/160-handwashing-activit...ies-across-the-globe

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• kamrun

Dear Wangi,

We have developed different Group Hand Washing Stations with pipe water supply and with placing static tank, usually filled by cook cum helper MID-DAY-MEAL in schools. ODISHA, INDIA. I can share with you all photos too.
Er M S Khan

• wmwangi

Amodel handwashing station for pupils in schools has to overcome all challenges faced earlier. these are: poor visibility, lack of water/ refilling frequently, lack of soap stand and lack of multiple outlets.

• AlexanderWinkscha
  • Regional Coordinator for Cambodia and Lao PDR in the GIZ Regional Fit for School Program

It is an interesting question that John is asking here - and I find it even more interesting that the first reaction is to start from a "standard" number.

I would try to approach it the other way around: How many students do you have in your school and what do you want to achieve with the handwashing station?
If you need taps for handwashing after toilet use, you can install one tap per toilet to make sure the max number of users can wash their hands simultaneously once they´re done.

However, if you plan for more and want the children to wash their hands at certain times, especially before lunch for example, then you need more. And rather than sticking to a certain number per station I would start with calculating from a logistics point of view. If you don´t have enough water outlets to cover 50% of students at the same time for a group handwashing activity or peak times during break before lunch, then it will simply take too much time from the schoolday/breaktime for it to be feasible in terms of covering all students and not losing too much time. If 100% of students can wash their hands in max 2 rounds within 10-15 min, there is a much better chance that it will happen and that it will continue to happen.

So ultimately the number depends on the number of students I would say. In terms of facility models - there are many out there. Many standard group washing facilities indeed cater to 15-25 students at a time, but there are also varieties of facilities that can cover way more or less. It´s a form follows function (and available materials) kind of approach, I´d say.
The following user(s) like this post: John Brogan

• cecile
  • Water and Sanitation Sector Leader for SNV in Burkina Faso

Re: Reply: Is+there+a+standard+for+handwashing+taps/stations+to+learners?

Hi Daniel,

Your statement is quite interesting because it reflects a important issue of making decisions in schools in a context of limited resources, and as you clearly show us WASH is not the most urgent need in your case.

If you happen to visit schools located in arid and sub arid area you will be much surprised to see even clean water for consumption is problem leave alone water for washing hands to promote hygiene. There are several primary schools which even classroom is problem they school under tree without trained teacher.

However, I still think that installing a tippy tap is a no regret measure!
- it is costless: a recycled bottle and a rope, so it does take the resources for other actions
- it is possible to do it at "tree level" so it is something the teacher and student can do by themselves (like the girls building brick toilets with Peter Morgan if I remember well), can be proud of and which will have an immediate impact.
- it is a learning experience with small scale planning and maintenance and even can be used as a learning tool (in maths, science, biology/hygiene).

In the end, I would conclude that encouraging a school under a tree to install "low cost hand washing stations", is an initiative that is more empowering than it seems. Stakeholders need to act at their own level. There isn't much that pupils can do under the tree to improve teacher's training but there is much they can do to improve their health and well being.
Cecile
Cécile Laborderie
MAKATI Environnement

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds