In which countries of the world are the forum users located?

20.8k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: How can a user find out about the regional distribution of other forum users?

I am writing this post today based on the question by Pete in this thread about the standard powerpoint files about SuSanA:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/10-by-...explain-susana#10298

His question was:

I looked for some of the maps displaying the network on the Susana site and couldn’t find them. Are they available there, and if not, what about adding them into the ‘about’ or ‘partners’ sections?

My answer (and this is a continuation of the posts above):

We are currently working on this map and a list by country in the background and hopefully in the next week or so, Steffen Eisser (our IT guy) will be able to put it online for everyone to see, and it should always be up to date. It might go on the forum page under statistics (forum.susana.org/forum/statistics) or on the Susana website or both (this hasn't been decided yet).

To give everyone a sneak preview of this map and country list, please see here:

I got the idea of doing a member list by country from the HIFA2015 Dgroups where they have it visible as soon as you log in (as I mentioned before). They have actually gone a step further and displayed also the names of people in those countries, but we felt this is perhaps taking it a bit too far in terms of data protection issues (even if you have to log in first in order to see the names).

The upshot would be that any member could easily find other members in his or her country. But perhaps some people don't want others to know in which country they reside?

By the way the countries for the maps and lists are not taken by Google Analytics but are extracted from our member database, i.e. they are those countries that people state when they register. (I can't remember off-hand if a user can also leave the country field blank?)

Anyway, I quite like this map and the country list and find it informative.

My suggestion to Steffen was to make the order of countries in alphabetical order (rather than ordered by most members), or to make both orders available.

Stay tuned. :-)
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Carol McCreary
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Re: How can a user find out about the regional distribution of other forum users?

Thanks to F.H. for question, Elisabeth for trying to answer, and J.K.for possible explanation of high figure for US. A Dgroup list would be helpful.
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Kris,

I am with you on this one. In the background, we (Trevor and I) are currently discussing how to improve on this. I think we should not use Google Analytics for this at all but rather go by the member database because each member states his or her country when they register for SuSanA. So we have all that information, it is just a matter of how to display it and whether or not to make it available for viewing. I think it would be good to make it available on the forum statistics page but only for people who have logged into the page (i.e. for registered users).

It could be added to these other statistical lists here on the forum:
forum.susana.org/forum/statistics

When I recently joined the Dgroup HIFA (Health Care Information for All) - dgroups.org/hifa2015/members/country/in - the first thing I went to is their member list. Because I was curious to find out more about the 7500 people in that Dgroup. E.g. who else is there from Germany whom I might know?

They have their members displayed like this so you can easily find other members in your country:

I think that's pretty nifty.

Members who do not want to reveal their country of residence could simply edit their member profile accordingly here on the left of the front page where they can log in: susana.org/en/).

What do you think about this plan?

And I can tell you already know that these seem the be the top countries where our members come from:
  • USA
  • India
  • Germany
  • UK
  • Kenya
  • South Africa
  • Ghana
  • Nigeria

I don't think the high member figures in Germany are a SuSanA-artefact as the SuSanA secretariat plus me only equates to a handful of people. ;) Remember these are not page click rates but simply the countries that people state when they register for SuSanA. I just think the interest in sanitation (developing countries or closer to home) is quite high in Germany, as are all topics related to environmental protection in Germany (e.g. without looking up any figures I think it's the country with the highest rate of recycling of solid waste).

Greetings,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary, JKMakowka

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Would it be possible to re-do that map and exclude the US and Germany for a better resolution of the other countries? The high US figures are an data-artifact most likely anyways (automated bots and many non-clearly defined IPs get counted as US based) and Germany is a SuSanA artifact ;)

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Dear Mr. Mughal,

Thank you for your query. The map below gives an overview on the country-wise distribution of our forum users.

The secretariat along with Elisabeth will work on how we could proceed with your suggestion.

Regards,
Shobana
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

Attachments:

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

In which countries of the world are the forum users located?

If a new potential user, before joining this forum, would like to know whether this forum has worldwide users/members, and would like to see the distribution of users on (a) regional basis – Africa, South Asia, Middle East; and (b) on country basis; what is the easy navigable way for the new user to do it?

Smiles!

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, Doreen, cecile

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds