www.aqua-verde.de
Sanitation-Solutions without external energy
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/
The following user(s) like this post: arno
You need to login to reply
  • tmsinnovation
  • I work in the GIZ Zambia Water programme as a Sanitation Advisor. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.

Re: Recording for webinar 5 - presentations by Kai Udert and Luiza Campos

Dear Detlef

You asked

where is the server and service provider of this forum physically based?

and the answer is Berlin.

I am sure that the technical issues encountered during the last webinar will be sorted out and future webinars will be stable. Regarding you question on the server used for the Adobe Connect webinars, there I am unable to comment as I do not know any of the details.

Kind regards
Trevor

Trevor Surridge
Sanitation Advisor
GIZ Water and Sanitation Program
German Development Cooperation

GIZ Water Programme office
Chaholi Rd. No 5, Rhodes Park
Private Bag RW 37x
Lusaka, Zambia
  • arno
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

Hello Detlef

There are major challenges surrounding videoconferencing and ensuring that participants from developing countries can in fact participate. We have found the Adobe Connect service to work as long as the number of users does not exceed the licensed maximum. On Jan 21 we had over 70 participants trying to enter a virtual room for 25 people - thanks in part to the good publicity we got from the Sanitation Updates e-mail service by IRC and the USAID WASHplus project. Next time we will be better prepared with a room for 100 people. The new subscription we have taken out from now for our future webinars has the server in Germany (the last webinar (number 5) was hosted on a server in the US).

Videoconferencing is a tool to provide open and transparent sharing, to eliminate travel costs. And for it to work for global access the server/software need to be sufficiently powerful to allow for slow internet connections. Any user with 512 kB/s in Internet bandwidth can participate in a meeting. With 4 MB/s the user can add a webcam.

Welcome onboard!

--Arno Rosemarin/SEI

Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
Linnegatan 87D, Box 24218
10451 Stockholm, Sweden
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • AquaVerde
  • AquaVerde's Avatar Topic Author
  • Long-term forum user

Thanks Mr. Rosemarin,

for your positive response. Aldo a server in Germany or Sweden would be not more "safe", but at least "money talks", if US IT-businesses close to NSA or even controlled will loos international customers...

"We" will not preventing at all through this kind of "moving" that nice sustainable sanitation ideas will get "stolen" from susana.org and sanitation paradigm shifts will start first throughout the big „Five Eyes“ countries... B)

(Trevor: just a trail on German-English sarcasm...) :blush:

Regards,
Detlef SCHWAGER

www.aqua-verde.de
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/
  • muench
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

Re: IT security concerns?

Dear Detlef,

I have tried really hard but couldn't figure out what you are trying to tell us with this post. I also don't know if it's so relevant to this thread about the webinars.

There is no need to "steal" anything from the webinars: they are recorded and put on Youtube, we are not trying to keep anything that was discussed in the webinars a secret. If the researchers have certain things that they do not reveal (e.g. for patent or for publishing reasons), then they won't talk about it in their presentation. Easy.

The same goes with the forum, it is open and it is for sharing - what the users want to share.

Are you perhaps harboring some conspiracy theories? Just wondering. About the server questions (you had asked on 26 January where the server is located; you have in the meantime changed that post into just a question mark) - Trevor answered that is in Berlin. But I don't see why it's important if the server of the SuSanA website is in Berlin or in some other cities, e.g. in the United States. Why should that be an issue where the server is located, provided it is a reliable company provided that server service? I am probably missing something.

I am thinking of moving the posts in this thread from 26 January onwards to a separate thread as it is leading off-topic from the webinars. (We could open a separate thread on "IT security issues" if needed, if it is relevant for our sanitation type conversations).

Regards,
Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Community manager of this forum via SEI
(see: www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )
Wikipedian, co-founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench, website:...
  • AquaVerde
  • AquaVerde's Avatar Topic Author
  • Long-term forum user

Re: IT security concerns?

German:

hatte heute dazu sehr Grundsätzliches gehört, frei von Parteinahmen usw.:
www.deutschlandradiokultur.de/sicherheit...am:article_id=278208

Interview mit IT-Spezialist von der Freien Universität Berlin Sandro Gaycken

www.aqua-verde.de