Can attachments of posts be searched with a search method? How can I find attachments later?

Page selection:
  • secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Re: Can attachments of posts be searched with any search method? How can I find attachments later?

Dear Mughal,

Mughal wrote: A new user may or may not remember the link to the library. Can you provide the library link in the shape of a button (among the buttons that we have)?

You can find a link to the library in the top menu bar under "SuSanA resources". Would it be better to have a different icon, e.g. to make it clearer? I have the suspicion that the top menu bar with the drop down menus is not being noticed by people. How is your impression about that as a regular user?

I mean this menu bar (Left hand corner under SuSanA Website in green):

Edited on 28 June, 2017

Mughal wrote: When I attach publication no. 1, it is simply taken up on that bar, but is NOT uploaded. This happens in case of all 4 publications. Uploading ONLY starts when we hit the submit button. Now, since there are a number of MBs of all the 4 publications altogether, your system does not do its work – no uploading.

Unfortunately, we cannot change the way the uploading works – this is set by Kunena, which is the discussion forum system that goes with our website system called Joomla :dry:.

Mughal wrote: There is one problem that needs a solution. This is specific of users, like me, with slow and unstable internet connection. I wrote this piece last night at 11.30 pm (Karachi time), tried to attach 4 publications, waited for 10 minutes, nothing happened, canceled the post and went back to sleep. It is nearly 5.15pm here and, I’ll attempt loading publications again……

If a user has a slow internet connection, the safest - and probably least nerve wrecking - way is to submit your post first, then afterwards click on the edit button and attach your files, and then press "submit" a second time. This way you don’t lose your post if your internet is too slow and you have to cancel the upload.

Generally, it is better to provide the link (URL) rather than an attachment, if the attachment is already online somwhere, so that the readers can immediately see where this document came from. Also:
To open an attachment, the reader has to be logged in, whilst to access a link, the reader doesn’t have to be logged in.

Please remember to attach documents to a post only if it fits specifically to the topic of your post (see Rule 3 on our rules page: forum.susana.org/forum/rules). I wasn't quite sure why you attached those four attachments to your post. Was it just to check how long the uploads would take? Or was it because you wanted us to include them in the SuSanA library?

Mughal wrote: If a user would like to add a publication or two to the library, how can he/she do it?

We will answer this question in a separate post, as it requires a lengthy answer.

I hope I was able to clarify some of your questions and made things easier with some suggestions.

Best,
Sebastian
& Elisabeth
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Questions about attachments and library uploads

Note by moderator: this post was first in this thread: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/133-re...g-bullet-point-lists
and has now been moved to here.

++++++++++++++

Dear Joe,

Thanks for your feedback. That was interesting

Dear Elisabeth,

Thanks for the enlightenment. I’m sure, new forum users will benefit from your response.

Please help me out on these minor points:

About publications, you say:

“However, you can use the search function at the top right to search for topics (including titles of attachments if they were mentioned in the post).”

You have mentioned here about the search function. A new user may not know which publication to search for. He/she would prefer a list of publications to choose from - - which bring me to your “SuSanA library: www.susana.org/library
(and the library has its own search function)” library link.

A new user may or may not remember the link to the library. Can you provide the library link in the shape of a button (among the buttons that we have)?

If a user would like to add a publication or two to the library, how can he/she do it? I’m not sure, whether a user is authorized to add a publication “directly” to the library. The process must be routed through the moderators. I’m attaching some publications for the library (I failed in the first attempt).

If a user would like to use this forum to know important sanitation-related events (like seminars/workshops) – say, from today till 31 Dec 2014, how can this forum help him/her?

There is one problem that needs a solution. This is specific of users, like me, with slow and unstable internet connection. I wrote this piece last night at 11.30 pm (Karachi time), tried to attach 4 publications, waited for 10 minutes, nothing happened, canceled the post and went back to sleep. It is nearly 5.15pm here and, I’ll attempt loading publications again……

And, this is the problem:

When I attach publication no. 1, it is simply taken up on that bar, but is NOT uploaded. This happens in case of all 4 publications. Uploading ONLY starts when we hit the submit button. Now, since there are a number of MBs of all the 4 publications altogether, your system does not do its work – no uploading.

As against this, in case of an ordinary email, when I attach publication no 1, it IS uploaded, then and there. This happens will all the rest of 3 publications. In other words, there is no overloading of traffic (so to say!). All 4 publications are uploaded, in the sequence they are attached, and sent.

Can you convert the uploading mechanism of your server to the one we have in ordinary emails?

I’m sure, our guru, Sebastian, can work it out!!

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Re: Search function for attachments - better to use the SuSanA Library

Hi everyone!
We have been asked quite a number of times if it is possible to use the search function of the forum to browse through documents that have been uploaded as attachments.

Unfortunately, the answer is no...

But here are some measures that can be followed to overcome this problem:
  1. You should always put some important parts (or at least author, title and (parts of) the abstract/summary of the attachment) into your posting. The current search function browses through all the content of all postings.
  2. Furthermore, if you know of a great document that should be made available you should contact us, the secretariat (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) and let us know about it. After a quick quality control we will add it to the SuSanA library to "archive it" and make it accessible to everyone. In the library, both keywords and the summaries of documents are scanned in searches.
One important issue that has to be mentioned in this respect is that journal articles with copyright cannot be added to the SuSanA library, and should not be attached to posts either.

Have a good evening and keep on posting ;-)
Best
Trevor
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• AquaVerde
    Topic Author
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Can attachments of posts be searched with a search method? How can I find attachments later?

2 Questions to the SUSANA-secretariat:

1. Do you store made annexes (attachments) in an electronic library for all users to find again easily?

As far I understand within the susana-search by keywords you can not find content of attachments of older user contributions if they do not have the keyword in their file name. Only by luck you can find made contributions (attachments) by searching trough each messages/contributions.

2. Could it be possible to extend the susana-search to text inside of made attachments?

Thanks in advance
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds