We have an internal contact function on the forum

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Reply: Investigating the social determinants of open defecation in India

No, the internal forum message function does not permit adding attachments. But I just wanted to point out that if you want to ask someone for their e-mail address it might be better to do it by using the internal message function, rather than making a forum post.
It relates a little bit to the "email charter" that you posted (forum.susana.org/39-miscellaneous-any-ot.../21807-email-charter) which is all about reducing e-mail traffic and saving the readers time. Forum posts get converted into e-mail notifications so they should follow the equivalent guidelines.

Anyhow, if you have good publications to share then best if you post them in a new forum thread (or into an existing one), either by attaching them or by providing the link (e.g. several of those publications by Coffey and Spears are already in the SuSanA library and have a URL from that.

We also have one of their projects in the project database here:
www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/101

Anyhow, you know that I always love seeing your forum posts and always say we need more people like you! :) My post on 7 October was aimed towards new people who might not know yet about the internal message function - so I thought I should point it out when I saw your question of "Kindly indicate your email address".

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Just one small query:

Can someone send publications, say 4 publications of total size of 10 MB, through the message function? In case the answer is in negative, then, that means you still need the email address.

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Just in case not everyone knows about this: There should be no need to ask someone on the forum for their e-mail address as any user can contact any other user by using the internal message function. You can see the message button to the left of the person's post or in their profile information. I have attached here a screenshot to indicate where the message function button is:

It is only visible/usable when you are logged in.

And strangely there has been some cases when the message button has disappeared. Our IT support person has been trying to solve that problem. I find that I sometimes have to refresh the page to make it re-appear. Therefore, if it is not visisble for you, please let me know (also tell me which browser you are using). Just e-mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or open a new thread for it, thanks.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author

internal message function now operational

Dear all,

I have good news for you today: There was a user request last year to add an internal e-mailing function to the forum (see above). I am happy to announce that this has now been added. From tomorrow morning (European time) onwards it will be possible to send other users short (!) direct messages, which they will receive in their inbox (hopefully not in the spam, as the sender of this e-mail is “SuSanA Forum”).

What is this for? So that you can:
  • Thank someone for their post and make sure they see your thank you (there is also the like-button below a post).
  • Ask someone for their e-mail address
  • Alert someone to a post that you have made and that they should see.
  • Alert someone that they should perhaps read a specific post (e.g. if they were mentioned) and reply on the forum.
What is it not to be used for:
  • Any type of annoying e-mail, spam, advertisement, bugging, etc.
  • Content discussions – rather have content discussions in the open please so that all can benefit! (that's why the message is limited to a maximum of 360 characters)

How do I use it?

• Simply click on the green “CONTACT” button below the person’s photo that appears on the left side of the person’s post (see e.g. below my photo to the left of this post). Then you get to this page where you can write your message:

• Or find the user in the user list and then click on “CONTACT” under their photo of their profile page.
    This is the link to the user list (you can get to it from “Forum tools”, then “Statistics” at the top black bar):
    forum.susana.org/forum/categories/userlist

Obviously, you need to be logged in before you can make such a contact (and before you can even see the “CONTACT” button below the photo).

This is the fine print:
    ++++++

This page allows you to contact another forum user directly. Your message will be sent to the other user’s e-mail address.
    To prevent abuse your name and e-mail address will automatically be sent to the other user and we will log all communications to protect the users from spam.

We will ban any user who abuses this function.

+++++++++++++

We hope that you will enjoy this new feature! Feedback welcome as always.

Oh, and we have also built in an “opt-out” function - we have thought of everything! If you really, really don’t want to be contactable via the internal messaging function, then please select “No” in the tab “Forum Settings” inside your profile where it says “Allow users to contact me”. The default setting is set to “Yes”. See screenshot below (but be fair: if you think you might want to contact other users in the future, then do allow them to contact you, too…):

You get to your profile settings from the top black bar (see "My profile"), when you are logged in. This is also where you set your photo, personal text and signature, by the way.

Feedback? How about you try it out immediately to get used to it and to thank your most favourite user for his or her valuable contributions over the months and years. ;)

Regards,
    Elisabeth
    (and the rest of the team who worked on this new function (Steffen Eisser, Trevor Surridge and Dorothee Spuhler))
    Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
    Located in Ulm, Germany
    Attachments:
    The following user(s) like this post: jkeichholz, tmsinnovation, CeciliaRodrigues

Page selection:
    Share this thread:
    Recently active users. Who else has been active?
    Time to create page: 0.249 seconds